This Is What Darren Lehmann Said On The Walkie-Talkie To 12th Man Peter Handscomb

Updated: 28 March 2018 20:49 IST

"I want to clarify that specific point. He sent a message to say 'what the hell is going on', except he didn't use the word 'hell'," Sutherland told reporters at the Australia team hotel in Johannesburg

This Is What Darren Lehmann Said On The Walkie-Talkie To 12th Man Peter Handscomb
Darren Lehmann will continue tpo coach Australian cricket team © AFP

Australian cricket team coach Darren Lehmann survived the ball-tampering scandal that has rocked the sport and will remain in charge of the national team. Cricket Australia chief James Sutherland on Wednesday said that Lehmann's furious walkie-talkie exchange with 12th man Peter Handscomb was the crucial evidence that distanced him from the team's ball-tampering plot. Captain Steve Smith, vice-captain David Warner and opening batsman Cameron Bancroft have all been sent home and banned from top-level cricket for up a year each for their part in the incident, but Lehmann has been allowed to stay in his role.

Television footage of the scandal-hit third Test in Cape Town showed Lehmann relaying a message down to Handscomb after cameras caught Bancroft attempting to alter the ball's condition with what Australian officials have said was sandpaper.

"I want to clarify that specific point. He sent a message to say 'what the hell is going on', except he didn't use the word 'hell'," Sutherland told reporters at the Australia team hotel in Johannesburg.

"(Cricket Australia's head of integrity) Iain Roy in his investigation found that to be the fact.

"I am satisfied that Darren Lehmann was not involved and didn't know anything about the plan," Sutherland added.

Sutherland said the probe appeared to show it had been an "isolated incident" had been a one-off, but he added: "If there are any credible allegations or suggestions to the contrary we have an obligation to investigate them."

Smith and Warner have also been barred from this year's Indian Premier League, losing contracts worth nearly $2 million each, while Bancroft received a nine-month ban from all international and domestic cricket.

"I spoke to all three players personally. I think they're very sad and remorseful," Sutherland said.

Lehmann took over as coach in 2013 when predecessor Mickey Arthur was sacked and was hailed as a saviour. The Australians have been successful under Lehmann, with a Test record of 30 wins, 19 losses and eight draws under his stewardship.

(With AFP inputs)

Comments
Topics : Australia Cricket Team Peter Handscomb Steven Smith Cameron Bancroft David Warner Darren Lehmann Cricket
Highlights
  • Australia coach Darren Lehmann survived the ball-tampering scandal
  • He will continue to coach Australia
  • Lehmann took over as coach in 2013
Related Articles
Darren Lehmann Reveals Emotional Struggles Post Ball-Tampering Scandal
Darren Lehmann Reveals Emotional Struggles Post Ball-Tampering Scandal
Darren Lehmann Reveals Emotional Struggles Post Ball-tampering Scandal
Darren Lehmann Reveals Emotional Struggles Post Ball-tampering Scandal
Darren Lehmann Takes On New Mentoring Role In Cricket Australia
Darren Lehmann Takes On New Mentoring Role In Cricket Australia
Justin Langer Appointed Australia
Justin Langer Appointed Australia's Head Coach In All Formats
Cricket Australia To Name Darren Lehmann
Cricket Australia To Name Darren Lehmann's Replacement Before England Tour
Advertisement