Tokyo Olympics Highlights: Neeraj Chopra Wins Javelin Gold, India Registers Its Best-Ever Medal Haul At Olympics
Tokyo Olympics: Neeraj Chopra became the first Indian to win an Olympic gold in athletics with a stunning performance in the javelin throw final.
Neeraj Chopra became the first Indian to win an Olympic gold in athletics with a stunning performance in the javelin throw final. Neeraj took the gold with a best attempt of 87.58m to demolish the rest of the field and become India's second individual gold medallist. With a gold, 2 silver, 4 bronze at the Tokyo Games, India saw its largest Olympic medal haul ever, bettering the tally of 6 from London 2012.
Earlier, wrestler Bajrang Punia defeated Kazakhstan's Daulet Niyazbekov in men's 65kg freestyle to win the bronze medal. Bajrang won the bout 8-0 in a match where the Indian dominated from the word go. Bajrang was leading 2-0 after the first period. He added six more points in the final three minutes to win the match comfortably. The Indian wrestler had lost to Haji Aliyev in the semi-final bout to miss out on a chance to compete for the gold medal at the ongoing Tokyo Olympics.
Here Are The Highlights From Tokyo Olympics 2020
- 18:08 (IST)PM Modi, Sachin Tendulkar Congratulate Neeraj!Congratulations Pour In For Neeraj Chopra!Indian PM Narendra Modi and legendary cricketer Sachin Tendulkar congratulated India's gold medal-winning athlete Neeraj Chopra for his stunning performanceWhat a day for the Indians!
History has been scripted at Tokyo! What @Neeraj_chopra1 has achieved today will be remembered forever. The young Neeraj has done exceptionally well. He played with remarkable passion and showed unparalleled grit. Congratulations to him for winning the Gold. #Tokyo2020 https://t.co/2NcGgJvfMS— Narendra Modi (@narendramodi) August 7, 2021
— Sachin Tendulkar (@sachin_rt) August 7, 2021
India shines brighter today because of you, Neeraj.
Your javelin carried the tricolour all the way and made it flutter with the pride of every Indian.
What a moment for Indian sport!#Olympics #Tokyo2020 #Athletics #Gold pic.twitter.com/FZ52Ti6EZc
- 17:54 (IST)Men's Javelin Throw - FinalNeeraj Chopra Wins GoldIndia's Neeraj Chopra throws 84.24m in his sixth and final attempt in the men's Javelin Throw finalWith this, he becomes India's first ever track and field athlete to win a gold medal at the OlympicsNo thrower could surpass the 87-mark as Neeraj registered the two best throwsFirst: 87.03mSecond: 87.58mThird: 76.79mFourth: FoulFifth: Foul
.@Neeraj_chopra1 creates history by becoming the 1st Indian Track & Field athlete to clinch at the #Olympics with a throw of 87.58m— SAIMedia (@Media_SAI) August 7, 2021
His dedication & hard work has paid off and has given it's 2nd individual Olympic #Gold medal
Perfect podium finish for #IND at #Tokyo2020 pic.twitter.com/ZNZ7ZRFlCJ
- 16:30 (IST)Men's Javelin Throw - FinalAll Eyes On Neeraj ChopraIndia's Neeraj Chopra will be aiming to maintain his good form as we get ready for the all important men's Javelin Throw final in a few minutes from nowNeeraj Chopra topped the qualification round with a first round javelin throw of 86.65m
All eyes will be on @Neeraj_chopra1 as he competes in Men's Javelin Throw final in some time at #Tokyo2020— SAIMedia (@Media_SAI) August 7, 2021
The match starts at 4:30 pm (IST), so continue sending in your #Cheer4India messages and stay tuned for updates.#Athletics #Olympics #TeamIndia pic.twitter.com/p5yf0vwHff
- 16:27 (IST)Wrestling - Daulet Niyazbekov vs Bajrang Punia - Bronze Medal MatchMen's Freestyle 65kg Final - Bajrang Punia Wins BronzeIndia's Bajrang Punia wins 8-0 against Daulet Niyazbekov of Kazakhstan in the men's Freestyle 65kg wrestling bronze medal matchPunia's win helps India secure their sixth medal of Tokyo 2020 and their second in wrestlingIncredible domination from India's wrestler!
Bajrang takes home in his debut @Olympics— SAIMedia (@Media_SAI) August 7, 2021
wrestler @BajrangPunia beats #KAZ D Niyazbekov 8-0 to win 's 6th Medal at #Tokyo2020
This equals India's best ever medal haul at a single Olympics equalling the 6 won in #London2012
We are proud of our champion!#Cheer4India pic.twitter.com/K4HV3ia3cg
- 15:45 (IST)Wrestling - Daulet Niyazbekov vs Bajrang Punia - Bronze Medal MatchMen's Freestyle 65kgIndia's Bajrang Punia will take on Daulet Niyazbekov of Kazakhstan in the men's Freestyle 65kg wrestling bronze medal match in a short while from now
wrestler @BajrangPunia will compete for the bronze at #Tokyo2020 in some time.— SAIMedia (@Media_SAI) August 7, 2021
Watch this space for updates and don't forget to send in your #Cheer4India messages.#Wrestling #Olympics #TeamIndia pic.twitter.com/OdNJGO7XmY
- 15:21 (IST)Rhythmic Gymnastics - FinalIndividual All-AroundLinoy Ashram of Israel win's her country's first ever medal in rhythmic gymnastics and that too a goldRussia's Dina Averina takes silver while Alina Harnasko of Belarus wins bronze
Linoy Ashram becomes the first Israeli woman to win Olympic #GOLD— Olympics (@Olympics) August 7, 2021
She wins the individual all-around in #RhythmicGymnastics#StrongerTogether | #Tokyo2020 | @gymnastics | #ISR pic.twitter.com/2OMRIyHvs9
- 14:11 (IST)Women's Water Polo - Gold Medal GameWater PoloUSA win their third successive gold medal in women's water polo as they go past Spain 14-5This victory gives USA the first spot yet again, having taken the title in London 2012 and Rio 2016 as wellWhat an achievement!
- 13:22 (IST)Baseball/Softball - Dominican Rep. vs Republic of Korea - Bronze Medal GameMen's Baseball/SoftballDominican Republic beat Republic of Korea to win bronzeRuns: 10-6Hits: 14:13Left on Base: 12-7
- 12:39 (IST)Boxing - Busenaz Surmeneli vs Gu Hong - Final BoutWomen's Welter (64-69kg) categoryAfter losing the first round against China's Gu Hong, Busenaz Surmeneli of Turkey recovers to take the secondThe third round is split between the judgesSurmeneli wins 3-0 overall to take gold
Turkiye. pic.twitter.com/lLnhklvZHk— Olympics (@Olympics) August 7, 2021
- 12:25 (IST)Men's Javelin Throw - FinalAll Eyes On Neeraj Chopra - Men's Javelin Throw FinalIndia's Neeraj Chopra will be aiming to maintain his good form as we get ready for the all important men's Javelin Throw final today eveningNeeraj Chopra topped the qualification round with a first round javelin throw of 86.65m
- 12:00 (IST)Boxing - Oleksandr Khyzhniak vs Hebert Sousa - Final BoutMen's Middle (69-75kg) categoryKnockout Win For Hebert SousaAfter losing the first two rounds against Oleksandr Khyzhniak of Ukraine unanimously on the judges' cards, Brazil's Hebert Sousa comes back in an epic fashion to knock out his opponent in the third to win gold
- 11:41 (IST)Women's Water Polo Bronze Medal GameWomen's Water PoloHungary win water polo bronzeVanda Valyi of Hungary scores a hat-trick to help her country win 11-9 over Russia in the women's water polo bronze medal game
- 11:36 (IST)Golf - Women's Individual Stroke Play - Round 4Women's GolfIndia's other golfer, Diksha Dagar finishes Round 4 with 1 under par (-1) with a score of 70She is tied 50th overall 6 over par (+6) with a total score of 290
#IND golfer @DikshaDagar finished the #Golf Women's Round 4 with 1 under par (-1) with a score of 70— SAIMedia (@Media_SAI) August 7, 2021
Diksha finishes Tied 50th overall 6 over par (+6) with a total score of 290
Well played Diksha!!#Tokyo2020 #Olympics pic.twitter.com/Jor120eri6
- 11:22 (IST)Boxing - Buse Naz Cakiroglu vs Stoyka Krasteva - Final BoutWomen's Fly (48-51kg) CategoryBulgaria's Stoyka Krasteva beats Buse Naz Cakiroglu of Turkey by unanimous decision to win gold in the women's fly (48-51kg) category
- 10:56 (IST)Boxing - Men's Fly (48-52kg) CategoryMen's BoxingGreat Britain's Galal Yafai wins gold in a 4-1 split decision against Carlo Paalam of Philippines, who takes silver
- 10:55 (IST)Golf - Women's Individual Stroke Play - Round 4Women's GolfJapan's Mone Inami takes silver while Lydia Ko of New Zealand wins the bronze medalInami recovers from the bogey she had on 18, this very hole, in the fourth round earlier to card par while Lydia can only manage bogey in response
- 10:28 (IST)Golf - Women's Individual Stroke Play - Round 4Women's Golf - Aditi Ashok Finishes FourthIndian Golfer Aditi Ashok finishes fourth and misses out on a medal by a whiskerUSA's Nelly Korda wins the gold medal while Lydia Ko of New Zealand and Japan's Mone Inami will play for the silver medal as both finish tied second
- 10:12 (IST)Basketball - France vs United States - Gold Medal GameMen's BasketballUSA edge past France in a cliff-hanger 87-82 to win gold in the men's basketball event
- 09:38 (IST)Women's Kayak Four 500m FinalCanoe SprintHungary win gold with a time of 1:35.463Belarus take silver as they finish with a time of 1:36.073Poland take bronze with a time of 1:36.445
- 09:33 (IST)Men's Kayak Four 500m FinalCanoe SprintInaugural men's K-4 500m final goes to GermanyGermany pip Spain to win goldGermany finish with a time of 1:22.219 while Spain take silver with 1:22.445Slovakia take bronze with a time of 1:23.534