The South Korean government has threatened to shut down its professional football league if it emerges that multiple K-League teams are involved in the growing match-fixing scandal.
The Sports Ministry said Friday that Vice Minister Park Sun-kyoo issued the warning in a meeting with football officials Thursday.
The ministry cited Park as saying it may eliminate a football club from the K-League if its players are found to have received kickbacks in return for attempting to rig the results of games.
Park says the entire K-League would be closed down if it emerges that several teams are linked with a match-fixing scandal.
Prosecutors last month indicted 14 people, including 10 K-League players, over the ongoing scandal.
A former K-League player, who allegedly worked as a broker, was found dead in an apparent suicide in May.