FIFA Rejects Uruguay's Appeal Against Luis Suarez Ban

Updated: 10 July 2014 20:15 IST

Luis Suarez was thrown out of the World Cup and banned from all football activity for four months after being found guilty of biting Italy's Giorgio Chiellini in a Group D game on June 24.

FIFA Rejects Uruguay's Appeal Against Luis Suarez Ban
Uruguays Luis Suarez reacts after biting Italian defender Giorgio Chiellini during a 2014 FIFA World Cup match. © AP

Rio de Janeiro:

FIFA has dismissed appeals by the Uruguay Football Association and Luis Suarez over the striker's four-month global ban for biting, it was confirmed Thursday.

"The FIFA Appeal Committee has decided to reject appeals lodged by both the Uruguayan player Luis Suarez and the Uruguayan FA," a statement said.

"The terms of the decision taken by the FIFA Appeal Committee were communicated to the player and the Uruguayan FA today." (Also read: Suarez apologises)

The FIFA statement said the decision was not binding, meaning Liverpool star Suarez could still appeal to the Court of Arbitration for Sport.

Suarez was thrown out of the World Cup and banned from all football activity for four months after being found guilty of biting Italy's Giorgio Chiellini in a Group D game on June 24.

It was the third time Suarez had been found guilty of biting an opponent in his career. (Read: Chinese website sells 'Luis Suarez bite' bottle openers)



Topics : Luis Suarez FIFA World Cup 2014 Uruguay Football
Related Articles
El Clasico: Sergio Ramos Rescues Real Madrid With Late Equaliser vs Barcelona
El Clasico: Sergio Ramos Rescues Real Madrid With Late Equaliser vs Barcelona
La Liga: Lionel Messi-Less Barcelona Fire Blank Against Nine-Man Malaga
La Liga: Lionel Messi-Less Barcelona Fire Blank Against Nine-Man Malaga
Luis Suarez in Blockbuster Barcelona Extension Talks
Luis Suarez in Blockbuster Barcelona Extension Talks
Show Comments
Advertisement