Barcelona's Busquets cleared of racist abuse

Updated: 16 May 2011 19:18 IST

Barcelona midfielder Sergio Busquets will be able to play in the Champions League final against Manchester United later this month after being cleared of racist abuse by UEFA on Monday.

Geneva:

Barcelona midfielder Sergio Busquets will be able to play in the Champions League final against Manchester United later this month after being cleared of racist abuse by UEFA on Monday.

European football's governing body confirmed they have dismissed claims from Barca's Spanish rivals Real Madrid that Busquets racially insulted Brazilian full-back Marcelo during the controversial first leg of their European semi-final last month.

A statement on Barca's website read: "UEFA has notified FC Barcelona they have dismissed the claims of Real Madrid. Sergio Busquets will play in the Champions League final."

And UEFA added: "The complaint lodged by Real Madrid concerning racist insults by Barcelona player Sergio Busquets against Marcelo were rejected because of lack of clear and convincing proof."

Barcelona will play Manchester United in the final at Wembley on May 28.

The capital club published a video on their website ahead of the second leg, with a subtitle alleging Busquets had made a comment towards wing-back Marcelo during Barca's 2-0 win at the Bernabeu.

Barcelona went on to qualify for the final 3-1 on aggregate.

UEFA handed down a three-match ban on Real coach Jose Mourinho after he made allegations of favouritism towards Barcelona, while Real defender Pepe was sent off in the first leg.

Barcelona reserve goalkeeper Jose Pinto, red-carded in a half-time melee in the first leg, received a three-match ban.

Topics : Real Madrid Football Barcelona Euro 2012
Related Articles
Bayern Munich Sign James Rodriguez On Loan Deal From Real Madrid
Bayern Munich Sign James Rodriguez On Loan Deal From Real Madrid
Double Delight For Cristiano Ronaldo As Portuguese Star Welcomes Twins
Double Delight For Cristiano Ronaldo As Portuguese Star Welcomes Twins
No Offer Received For Cristiano Ronaldo, Says Real Madrid President
No Offer Received For Cristiano Ronaldo, Says Real Madrid President
Show Comments
Advertisement