Anton Ferdinand relaxed about Chelsea reception

Updated: 27 April 2012 20:16 IST

QPR defender Anton Ferdinand is not bothered by the prospect of a hostile reception as he heads to Stamford Bridge for a potentially explosive west London derby with Chelsea on Sunday.

London:

QPR defender Anton Ferdinand is not bothered by the prospect of a hostile reception as he heads to Stamford Bridge for a potentially explosive west London derby with Chelsea on Sunday.

Ferdinand was at the eye of the storm in October after he was allegedly the victim of racist abuse from Chelsea skipper John Terry, who faces a court case in July over the accusations, which he denies.

Premier League chiefs on Thursday announced the pre-match handshake had been scrapped amid speculation it could have implications for Terry's court case.

Ferdinand, 27, said he is relaxed about the possibility of being targeted for abuse by Chelsea fans.

"There is a big rivalry between the two clubs anyway but, with everything that has happened, I know there will be some fans targeting me," he told the Evening Standard.

"The Chelsea fans believe what they want to believe. They have their own view on what's gone on and if they are going to give me stick, that's their problem.

"All I can say is that it won't upset my game. If they think that's what's going to happen, then they have got another thing coming."

Ferdinand meanwhile said he is unconcerned by the decision to scrap handshakes for the game.

"My view is whether you shake hands with a player before or after the game doesn't really matter to me. It is about playing football," he said.

"My team-mates have said nothing to me about it because we are just treating it as a normal game. It is not about me or the current situation, it is about QPR and staying in the division.

"It is not for me to talk endlessly about handshakes - what matters is what happens in the course of 90 minutes."

Topics : Football John Terry Mark Hughes Alex Ferguson Manchester City Queens Park Rangers Chelsea English Premier League
Related Articles
Antonio Conte Signs New Two-Year Deal With Chelsea
Antonio Conte Signs New Two-Year Deal With Chelsea
Francesco Totti Confirms Retirement, Accepts Offer As Club Director At Roma
Francesco Totti Confirms Retirement, Accepts Offer As Club Director At Roma
Chelsea Sign 'Outstanding' French Midfielder Tiemoue Bakayoko
Chelsea Sign 'Outstanding' French Midfielder Tiemoue Bakayoko
Show Comments
Advertisement