South Africa vs West Indies Highlights, World Cup 2019: South Africa vs West Indies Match Abandoned Due To Rain
2019 ICC Cricket World Cup, SA vs WI, Highlights: South Africa and West Indies got a point each after their league encounter was abandoned due to rain.
South Africa remained winless in World Cup 2019 after their match against the West Indies was abandoned due to rain at the Rose Bowl in Southampton on Monday. Both teams got a point each after just 7.3 overs were possible as rain gods played hide-and-seek throughout the league encounter. West Indies paceman Sheldon Cottrell had reduced South Africa to 29 for two before rain stopped play in their World Cup match. South Africa, desperately needing a win after defeats in all three of their matches so far at the tournament in England and Wales, lost the toss and were put in to bat under threatening skies. They were quickly in trouble, with Hashim Amla edging Cottrell to Chris Gayle at slip for just six, sparking the bowler's trademark celebration featuring a short march and salute. That brought Aiden Markram to the wicket but he had only made five when he tickled a Cottrell delivery down the legside and wicketkeeper Shai Hope completed the catch to leave South Africa in deep trouble at 28-2 in the seventh over. In the following over, delivered by Oshane Thomas, rain stopped play and the covers came on. (SCORECARD)
World Cup 2019 Match Highlights Between South Africa vs West Indies, Straight from The Rose Bowl, Southampton
Match 15, ICC Cricket World Cup, 2019, Jun 10, 2019
- 17:39 (IST)Lunch break has been takenAs the wait continues, the players are taking their lunch. The cut-off time for a 20-over per side match is 9:30 pm IST. So, we still have quite a lot of time left but for that the rain has to stop completely.
The facial expressions in this photo sum up the current mood at the Hampshire Bowl.— Cricket World Cup (@cricketworldcup) June 10, 2019
It's still raining pic.twitter.com/wOA3j6YmzM
- 17:08 (IST)Not looking good!The wait continues as rain continues to pound Southampton. While you wait for some better news, the other big news coming from the sport is Yuvraj Singh's retirement. The likes of Virat Kohli and others have wished the stylish southpaw on a glorious career. Click here to read more
- 15:42 (IST)Play stops...due to rainIt has started drizzling in Southampton and the umpires have signalled towards the groundsmen to bring on the covers.
- 15:31 (IST)Cottrell picks second... Markram departsIt was a nothing delivery from Sheldon Cottrell, it was going down and would have been called wide had the batsman left it but instead he wanted to work it fine and ended up gloving it to keeper. Shai Hope completed a good catch to his left. With that comes the trademark "Salute" celebration of Cottrell.
Hashim Amla— Cricket World Cup (@cricketworldcup) June 10, 2019
Sheldon Cottrell's on fire this morning! pic.twitter.com/Y0WCYJSJz7
- 15:15 (IST)Cottrell strikes!Extra bounce from Sheldon Cottrell does the trick for him as Hashim Amla once again wanted to slash it over point but didn't cover the bounce and paid heavy price for it as the ball went straight to Chris Gayle at the first slip.
Sheldon Cottrell whips out his salute in just his second over!— Cricket World Cup (@cricketworldcup) June 10, 2019
Amla fends one straight to Gayle at slip and South Africa lose an early wicket.
FOLLOW LIVE | #CWC19https://t.co/vaVqYG8omh pic.twitter.com/DpRGECPyC6
- 14:59 (IST)Playing XIWest Indies (Playing XI): Chris Gayle, Shai Hope(wk), Darren Bravo, Nicholas Pooran, Shimron Hetmyer, Jason Holder(capt), Carlos Brathwaite, Ashley Nurse, Kemar Roach, Sheldon Cottrell, Oshane ThomasSouth Africa (Playing XI): Hashim Amla, Quinton de Kock(wk), Faf du Plessis(capt), Aiden Markram, Rassie van der Dussen, David Miller, Andile Phehlukwayo, Chris Morris, Kagiso Rabada, Imran Tahir, Beuran Hendricks
Aiden Markram— Cricket World Cup (@cricketworldcup) June 10, 2019
Two changes for both sides at the Hampshire Bowl.
FOLLOW LIVE | #CWC19https://t.co/vaVqYG8omh pic.twitter.com/R4z3e5lgpQ