Former India cricketer Sunil Gavaskar on Tuesday, lashed out against Board of Control for Cricket in India after the board's working committee unanimously shot down his demand of a USD 1 million fee per season for media activities involving Indian Premier League.
Speaking to NDTV, Gavaskar said that his faith in BCCI has been shaken after their decision to turn his demand down. "I am baffled after reading reports that BCCI has refused to pay me my dues and my faith in BCCI has been shaken," he said. (Watch full video here)
Gavaskar had earlier claimed that he had been assured by former BCCI president Sharad Pawar that the dues to him would be cleared. On Tuesday, a day after being turned down, he said that the decision had left him baffled. "Sharad Pawar and Arun Jaitely both promised me on phone that my dues will be cleared. In fact, Sharad Pawar and Lalit Modi had promised me 4 crore IPL contract in 2007," he said.
The decision to turn Gavaskar's request down had been taken in the last Annual General Meeting of the board but came up for discussion again on Monday after the legendary opening batsman wrote to BCCI. "The President told us that he didn't want any controversy and placed the matter on the table. Everyone was of the opinion that this demand is unacceptable," a BCCI official had said on condition of anonymity, the day the request was rejected.