Kapil Dev, Sunil Gavaskar, VVS Laxman Hail PM Narendra Modi's Cricket Diplomacy in Australia
Part of Narendra Modi's diplomatic entourage, former cricketers Kapil Dev, Sunil Gavaskar and VVS Laxman were present during his meeting with Australia Prime Minister Tony Abbott at the Melbourne Cricket Ground.
Watching Indian Prime Minister Narendra Modi meet his Australian counterpart Tony Abbott at the iconic Melbourne Cricket Ground on Tuesday was a special moment for people from both countries. It, though, was a moment of honour for three former Indian greats - Kapil Dev, Sunil Gavaskar and VVS Laxman - who said cricket diplomacy Down Under will help the two nations build relations in several areas including sports.
The three cricketers spoke exclusively to NDTV after the event. Here are some of the top-quotes:
* This was more of a sporting event than a political event. It shows both India and Australia have close sporting ties.
* Our relations with Australia has greatly improved after our Prime Minister's visit here.
* It is wonderful that two Prime Ministers meet and we, as cricketers, get to be part of it. It is very rare that any Prime Minister calls sports people.
* We would like close ties with Australia but on the field, it is all about playing hard and fighting hard. We can go for drinks in the evening once the match is over.
* Younger generation should achieve more than we did.
I am honoured to be here with Indian and Australian cricket legends. But I am more honoured to be with two wonderful Prime Ministers.
India have the potential to defend their World Cup title (in Australia). It is good the team is coming here for the Test series (starting December 4).