England vs West Indies, 1st Test Day 3 Highlights: Fifties From Kraigg Brathwaite, Shane Dowrich Help West Indies Dominate Day 3
ENG vs WI Highlights: England openers Rory Burns and Dom Sibley played cautiously and remained not out at stumps on Day 3.
Half-centuries from Kraigg Brathwaite (65 runs) and Shane Dowrich (61 runs) helped the West Indies score 318 runs and take a crucial 114-run lead in the first innings on Day 3 of the first Test match against England in Southampton. In reply, England openers Rory Burns and Dom Sibley played cautiously, finishing the day's play unscathed, with their side trailing West Indies by 99 runs at stumps on Day 3 in Southampton on Friday. The visitors were forced on the back foot when they lost two quick wickets in the afternoon session, but Roston Chase (47 runs) and Dowrich took the matter in their hands and stitched an important partnership of 81 runs for the sixth wicket to bail the visitors out of trouble. For England, skipper Ben Stokes was the pick of the bowlers as he took four wickets, senior fast bowler James Anderson took three wickets, off-spinner Dom Bess dismissed two batsmen while Mark Wood got rid of one player. (SCORECARD)
Highlights of England Vs West Indies 1st Test, Day 3 straight from the Ageas Bowl Stadium, Southampton.
- 00:08 (IST)Thank you and good bye!That's it from today's play. England are 15/0 and they trail the West Indies by 99 runs. Thank you joining us. See you tomorrow!
- 23:32 (IST)Maiden Over!England openers are clearly looking to see off the day's play unscathed hence this extra-cautious approach by them.
- 23:25 (IST)Maiden Over!West Indies skipper Jason Holder also starts his spell with a maiden over.
- 23:22 (IST)Maiden Over!Kemar Roach bowls back-to-back maiden over. He has been bowling some great line and lengths and has beaten the edge of the bat on quite a few occasions so far but hasn't been lucky.
- 23:16 (IST)Four!Shannon Gabriel bowls a half-volley on the middle and leg sump and Rory Burns plays it towards long-on fence to collect his second boundary of this innings.
- 23:14 (IST)Maiden Over!Kemar Roach has bowled a maiden over to Dominic Sibley and the pressure is piling on the England batsmen from both ends.
- 23:09 (IST)Another tidy over!West Indies fast bowlers are bowling good line and lengths which has caused trouble to England openers early on in their innings.
- 23:04 (IST)Another tidy over!Kemar Roach puts pressure on the England openers by bowling another tidy over.
- 23:02 (IST)Maiden Over!Shannon Gabriel starts off his spell with a brilliant over as he bowls a maiden over to Rory Burns.
- 22:53 (IST)Four!Rory Burns gets off the mark with a lucky boundary as the ball races to the third-man fence after taking a thick inside edge.
- 22:43 (IST)West Indies all-out for 318, lead England by 114 runs!Mark Wood cleans up Gabriel's stumps as the West Indies fold for 318 in their first innings, but not before taking a crucial 114-run lead.
- 22:40 (IST)Four!Shannon Gabriel Ben Stokes' pace and slogs it over mid-on and collects a boundary.
- 22:37 (IST)Dowrich departs!Ben Stokes gets the dangerous man as Shane Dowrich hands a simple catch to Jos Buttler. He departs for 61.
- 22:33 (IST)Four!Another edge goes flying past the slip cordon and Shane Dowrich has another boundary to his tally.
- 22:28 (IST)Stokes gets rid of Joseph for 18Ben Stokes has finally got his man as he removes Alzarri Joseph for 18 runs.
Test wickets for @benstokes38!— England Cricket (@englandcricket) July 10, 2020
Scorecard/Clips: https://t.co/ldtEXLDT8V#ENGvWI pic.twitter.com/ags39ezyP0
- 22:22 (IST)Back to back boundaries for Joseph!Alzarri Joseph gets lucky twice as he the ball sails towards slip cordon after taking thick outside edge on two occasions and that must frustrate the bowler.
- 21:59 (IST)Stokes removes West Indies skipper Jason Holder!Ben Stokes gets rid of his compatriot as Jason Holder pulls a short delivery straight to Jofra Archer who grabs a god catch to see his back.
- 21:49 (IST)Fifty for Shane Dowrich!Shane Dowrich plays the ball on the on side for a double and brings up his 9th half-century in Test cricket.
- 21:44 (IST)Another bowling change!Ben Stokes has now introduced himself into the attack for the first time since tea break.
- 21:42 (IST)Bowling Change!Ben Stokes, in search of wickets, has handed the ball to his express pace bowler Mark Wood, who is yet to pick up his first wicket of the match.
- 21:40 (IST)Maiden Over!James Anderson, high on confidence, after picking up wicket in his previous over backs it up with a maiden over.
- 21:31 (IST)Anderson gives England huge wicket!James Anderson makes a very confident LBW appeal against Roston Chase and Ben Stokes has decided to go for the review. The replay shows the ball would have gone on to hit the stumps and England have got the much-needed breakthrough as Chase falls three short of his fifty.
- 21:25 (IST)Tidy over from Archer!Jofra Archer has bowled more way more bouncers with the new ball than fast bowlers normally do but that also hasn't paid dividends.
- 21:17 (IST)Four!James Anderson bowls a wayward delivery down leg stump and Shane Dowrich flicks it off his pads towards fine leg fence for a boundary.
- 21:14 (IST)Barrage of bouncers!Jofra Archer is testing Shane Dowrich's skill-sets with his fiery bouncers and the West Indian has so far managed to keep himself out of trouble.
- 21:10 (IST)Four!Another cracker of a shot from Shane Dowrich as he smashes James Anderson's wide delivery nonchalantly between mid-off and cover for a boundary.
- 21:05 (IST)Back-to-back boundaries!Jofra Archer bowls full delivery on the leg stump and Roston Chase flicks it nicely for an easy boundary. The second ball was a leg stump half-volley and Chase flicks it towards midwicket and collects back-to-back boundaries.
- 20:50 (IST)Four!Full delivery from James Anderson and driven through the cover region by Roston Chase.
- 20:49 (IST)The West Indies batsmen are out in the middle!Shane Dowrich and Roston Chase are out in the middle. James Anderson to start the proceedings with the ball.
- 20:30 (IST)Tea! West Indies 235/5, lead England by 31 runs!That was the last major action before tea and West Indies once again will be the happier of the two sides going into this tea break as they lead England by 31 runs. Shane Dowrich not out on 30, while Roston Chase unbeaten on 27.
- 20:26 (IST)Huge LBW appeal!Dom Bess makes a huge LBW appeal against Shane Dowrich, umpire doesn't concur and England have decided not to review it.
- 20:14 (IST)Four!Mark wood bowls a short of a length delivery wide of off stump and Shane Dowrich hammers it in front of square for a cracking boundary.
- 20:10 (IST)Dropped!Shane Dowrich charges down the track and hits the ball hard straight to Dom Bess who gets both his hands to it but couldn't hold on to it.
- 20:08 (IST)Maiden Over!Mark Wood who has bowled some freebies to the West Indies batsmen tidied things up in his last over, bowling wicket to wicket. He has bowled least number of maiden overs among all the England bowlers in this match. This was only his second maiden over.
- 20:05 (IST)Wood continues from one end!Mark Wood continues to bowl from one end and he has been the least effective bowler for England so far in this match. His express pace hasn't troubled West Indies batsmen as much he would have liked.
- 19:57 (IST)Four legbyes!Mark Wood bowls a short-pitch delivery, drifting down leg side and Roston Chase misses his flick and the ball goes towards fine leg fence after kissing his thigh pad.
- 19:56 (IST)Four!Dom Bess bowls full and wide and Roston Chase gets on reaches out for the ball and drives it wide of Jofra Archer stationed at mid-off and the ball runs away to the fence.
- 19:47 (IST)Possible run out chance!Shane Dowrich plays the ball with soft hands towards covers and decides to steal a quick single. Joe Burns reacted quickly but couldn't hit the target otherwise it could have been a disaster for the West Indies.
- 19:43 (IST)Four!Shane Dowrich guides the ball towards third man and collects a boundary off Jofra Archer's bowling. He now moves to 17.
- 19:42 (IST)Maiden Over!England skipper has bowled another maiden over for his side.