Donald blasts South Africa bowlers

Updated: 17 July 2008 16:08 IST

Allan Donald has lambasted South Africa's bowling attack for their below-par first-Test performance against England at Lord's.

New Delhi:

Allan Donald has lambasted South Africa's bowling attack for their below-par first-Test performance against England at Lord's.

South Africa pace legend Donald was dismayed at the manner in which the Proteas bowling attack allowed England to make 593 for eight declared.

"With the exception of Morne Morkel, the Proteas bowlers never asked enough questions of the England batting line-up in their innings," wrote Donald in his column in Afrikaans Sunday newspaper Sondag.

"It was as if they were all nervous and while they may have done well in world cricket in the last year or so, what we saw this week was far from their best."

Donald, who recently worked as a bowling coach with England, also suggested that it was the South Africa bowlers' strategy, rather than the Lord's pitch, which was tod half too short and Dale Steyn and Makhaya Ntini both weren't consistent enough to trouble England in their innings."

Donald also said that he fears for Ntini on this tour. "I'm really worried about him because he is a shadow of the bowler who took 10 wickets at Lord's last time out.

"I also predicted that this will be the biggest test of Dale Steyn's career and he didn't play well under pressure."

Donald also had some scathing words about spin bowler Paul Harris, calling for the Proteas to rethink his selection.

"This is the third Test where he has let more than 100 runs in an innings through and while I don't expect Paul to bowl teams out, he should at least help in applying the pressure for the bowling attack to attack from the other side. He is an important cog in the bowling attack and needs to function as such."

Topics : Cricket Sreesanth
Related Articles
We Are Well Past That Moment: Ravichandran Ashwin On Virat Kohli-Anil Kumble Fiasco
We Are Well Past That Moment: Ravichandran Ashwin On Virat Kohli-Anil Kumble Fiasco
Australia Players Reportedly Mull Bangladesh Boycott
Australia Players Reportedly Mull Bangladesh Boycott
ICC Women's World Cup 2017: Nobody Expected Us To Reach The Final, Says Sushma Verma
ICC Women's World Cup 2017: Nobody Expected Us To Reach The Final, Says Sushma Verma
Show Comments
Advertisement