Carribbean Diplomacy Needed to End India Tour Saga, Says Former West Indies Player

Updated: 06 November 2014 15:26 IST

Mike Findlay, who played ten Tests between 1969 and 1973 for West Indies, said it was important that a high level regional delegation travel to India to engage the Indian government in talks over the issue of compensation demanded by BCCI after Dwayne Bravo & Co. aborted the tour of India.

Carribbean Diplomacy Needed to End India Tour Saga, Says Former West Indies Player
Will diplomacy help West Indies out? © BCCI

Port of Spain:

Former West Indies player, chief selector and manager, Mike Findlay, believes (Carribbean Community) help is needed if the West Indies Cricket Board is to avoid the hefty multi-million dollar pay-out the Board of Control for Cricket in India (BCCI) has demanded as compensation for the recently abandoned tour.

Findlay, who played ten Tests between 1969 and 1973, Wednesday said it was important that a high level regional delegation travel to India to engage the Indian government in talks over the issue. (BCCI not Backing Down on Compensation Claims)

"We may very well have to call on governments of the Caribbean who are friendly with the Indian government to mount a diplomatic mission to India because diplomacy is required," Findlay told the Trinidad Express newspaper.

"Here is where CARICOM can play a very critical and important role because I don't know where they (the WICB) will get that money. If they have to pay that then West Indies cricket will be on the precipice of collapse. We are struggling already."

"Even in the Caribbean the crowds have fallen off, the sponsorship has fallen off, it is a lot of trouble we are in. It is a tall order."

Indian cricket authorities have demanded nearly $42 million in compensation for West Indies players quitting the tour of India after the fourth game of the intended six-match limited overs series.

The players were protesting the conditions of the new playing contracts which they said would have resulted in up to a 75 per cent reduction in their earnings.

Their move also forced the WICB to call off the three-Test tour which had been scheduled to start Oct 30.

Findlay said while the BCCI's claim was understandable, the WICB needed to use all diplomatic channels to get the Indians to change their demand.

"One can't blame the Indian Board for seeking redress for the losses incurred. We can only try to persuade them," said Findlay.

"You have to try all measures but I believe very strongly that the WICB should try to get the BCCI to forgive the West Indies because $42 million is a lot of money. Where is the WICB going to find that amount of money to pay the Indian board."

Findlay, who played ten Tests between 1969 and 1973, Wednesday said it was important that a high level regional delegation travel to India to engage the Indian government in talks over the issue.



Topics : West Indies India Cricket
Related Articles
Darren Bravo Takes Legal Action Against WICB After Sacking
Darren Bravo Takes Legal Action Against WICB After Sacking
Triangular Series: Zimbabwe Beat West Indies, Will Face Sri Lanka in Final
Triangular Series: Zimbabwe Beat West Indies, Will Face Sri Lanka in Final
Triangular Series: Sri Lanka Edge Out West Indies in Thriller
Triangular Series: Sri Lanka Edge Out West Indies in Thriller
Show Comments
Advertisement