India vs South Africa, 2nd Test, Day 4 Highlights: Dean Elgar Stars As South Africa Beat India To Level Series
IND vs SA, 2nd Test, Day 4 Highlights: South Africa beat India by 7 wickets in the second Test at the Wanderers in Johannesburg to level the three-match series.
IND vs SA 2nd Test, Day 4 Highlights: South Africa beat India by 7 wickets in the second Test at the Wanderers in Johannesburg to level the three-match series. Proteas captain Dean Elgar was the hero for the home team for his unbeaten 96-run knock. Elgar batted strongly in front of the Indian bowlers and stood like a rock in the chase of 240. For India, Mohammed Shami, Shardul Thakur, and Ravichandran Ashwin picked one wicket each. The action will now shift to the decisive Test at the Newlands in Cape Town. (SCORECARD)
India Playing XI: KL Rahul(c), Mayank Agarwal, Cheteshwar Pujara, Ajinkya Rahane, Hanuma Vihari, Rishabh Pant(w), Ravichandran Ashwin, Shardul Thakur, Mohammed Shami, Jasprit Bumrah, Mohammed Siraj
South Africa Playing XI: Dean Elgar(c), Aiden Markram, Keegan Petersen, Rassie van der Dussen, Temba Bavuma, Kyle Verreynne(w), Marco Jansen, Kagiso Rabada, Keshav Maharaj, Duanne Olivier, Lungi Ngidi
Here are the Highlights of India vs South Africa 2nd Test, Day 4 Straight From Wanderers Stadium, Johannesburg
- 21:25 (IST)South Africa Win By 7 Wickets!Ashwin to Elgar, FOUR and South Africa have won the Test match by seven wickets. It was the South Africa captain who was absolutely brilliant with the bat in the chase of 240.SA vs IND, 2nd Test: South Africa (243/3, 229) beat India (202, 266) by 7 wickets
- 21:20 (IST)South Africa 5 Runs Away From Victory!Thakur to Bavuma, cracking shot from Bavuma. Just 5 runs needed now for South Africa to win.SA vs IND, Live Score: South Africa 235/3, need 5 runs to win
- 21:15 (IST)South Africa Need 10 Runs To Win!Ashwin to Bavuma, no run but Bavuma wanted to finish off in style but ended up hitting Vihari at short leg.SA vs IND, Live Score: South Africa 230/3, need 10 runs to win
- 21:08 (IST)South Africa Close To Win!Back-to-back boundaries for Elgar and South Africa need just 21 more runs to win the Johannesburg Test.SA vs IND, Live Score: South Africa 224/3, need 21 runs to win
- 20:57 (IST)200 Up For South Africa!No-ball from Bumrah and 200 up for South Africa. The home side is dominating the game now.SA vs IND, Live Score: South Africa 200/3, need 40 runs to win
- 20:55 (IST)Good Shot From Bavuma!Bumrah to Bavuma, terrific shot from the No.5 batter. Classic cover drive!! South Africa need 41 runs to win now.SA vs IND, Live Score: South Africa 199/3, need 41 runs to win
- 20:37 (IST)Elgar On Top!Shami to Elgar, lovely shot!! Perfect use of the wrist by Elgar as flicked away for a boundary to long on.SA vs IND, Live Score: South Africa 186/3, need 54 runs to win
- 20:21 (IST)Shami Removes van der Dussen!Shami to van der Dussen, OUT!! caught by Pujara in the slips. South Africa have lost their thrid wicket now but they still have an upper hand in the chase.van der Dussen c Pujara b Shami 40(92) (4s-5)SA vs IND, Live Score: South Africa 175/3, need 65 runs to win
- 20:11 (IST)South Africa Close In On 240-Run Target!Partnership is of 80 now and the two batters are taking the South Africa total close to the target. India need wickets to comeback in the game.SA vs IND, Live Score: South Africa 174/2, need 66 runs to win
- 20:01 (IST)Big Over For South Africa!Three boundaries so far in this over as the last one was gone over's batter and keeper's head for 5 wides.SA vs IND, Live Score: South Africa 161/2, need 79 runs to win
- 19:59 (IST)150 Up For South Africa!Bumrah to van der Dussen, FOUR to square leg. Easy picking from Dussen and South Africa have 152 runs on the board now.SA vs IND, Live Score: South Africa 152/2, need 88 runs to win
- 19:55 (IST)Rassie Hits FOUR!Bumrah to Rassie, solid cover drive!! Lovely extension of arms and that was a controlled shot from South Africa No. 4.SA vs IND, Live Score: South Africa 147/2, need 93 runs to win
- 19:50 (IST)50 Partnership Between der Dussen And Elgar!50 partnership between van der Dussen and Dean Elgar. The duo has batted really well so far and this is what South Africa need at the moment.SA vs IND, Live Score: South Africa 143/2, need 97 runs to win
- 19:45 (IST)South Africa Need 99 More Runs To Win!Dean Elgar and Rassie van der Dussen continue to frustrate Indian bowlers as South Africa need 99 runs now with eight wickets in hand.SA vs IND, Live Score: South Africa 141/2, need 99 runs to win
- 19:33 (IST)Elgar Hits Fifty!Ashwin to Elgar, FOUR to midwicket, Fifty up for South Africa captain!! A deserving 50 for Elgar!! South Africa are still ahead in the game and that is only because of Elgar.SA vs IND, Live Score: South Africa 137/2, need 103 runs to win
- 19:28 (IST)Extra Runs For South Africa!Bumrah to van der Dussen, too short and it's gone over batter's and wicketkeeper's head for a boundary. 5 runs in total.SA vs IND, Live Score: South Africa 129/2, need 111 runs to win
- 19:18 (IST)Brilliant First Ball From Bumrah!Brilliant first ball, van der Dussen was completely beaten. Bumrah has done the job quite well so many times for Team India in the past at the same situation, can he do it today?SA vs IND, Live Score: South Africa 118/2, need 122 runs to win
- 19:15 (IST)Action Begins!Jasprit Bumrah will bowl the first over of Day 4, Rassie van der Dussen is on strike.SA vs IND, Live Score: South Africa 118/2, need 122 runs to win
- 19:08 (IST)Pujara Backs Himself And Ajinkya Rahane!Cheteshwar Pujara said the old adage "form is temporary but class is permanent" holds true for him and Ajinkya Rahane as their fluent half-centuries kept India in the hunt for a win in the second TestSA vs IND, Live Score: South Africa 118/2, need 122 runs to win
- 19:03 (IST)Players On Field!Players are on the field and they are practicing at the Wanderers ahead of the start of play on Day 4. Rain-affected Day 4 is scheduled to start at 7:15 PM IST.SA vs IND, Live Score: South Africa 118/2, need 122 runs to win
- 18:39 (IST)Play To Resume At 7:15 PM IST, 34 Overs To Be Bowled!Here's the official update, play will resume at 7:15 PM IST if there will be no more rain.A total of 34 overs will be bowled in the last session.SA vs IND, Live Score: South Africa 118/2, need 122 runs to win
The covers are off.— BCCI (@BCCI) January 6, 2022
The umpires have done their inspection.
Play set to resume by 3:45 PM Local Time (07.15 PM IST) at the Wanderers, if there is no more rain.
A total of 34 overs to be bowled. #TeamIndia | #SAvIND pic.twitter.com/NhRzjN3JS7
- 18:06 (IST)Tea Day 4: Rain Stops, Super Soppers At Work!Rain has stopped and the super soppers are at work now. South Africa will hope to score maximum runs if the get to play a few overs on Day 4.It's also Tea on Day 4. So now we have lost two session today.SA vs IND, Live Score: South Africa 118/2, need 122 runs to win
- 17:03 (IST)Still Raining In Johannesburg!Still drizzling in Johannesburg and looks like we have to wait a bit long for the start of play on Day 4.SA vs IND, Live Score: South Africa 118/2, need 122 runs to win
- 16:55 (IST)Next Official Update At 5PM!Next official update is at 5 PM IST and it's still raining in Johannesburg. South Africa must not be happy as they will have lesser time as the match we are losing the scheduled overs.SA vs IND, Live Score: South Africa 118/2, need 122 runs to win
- 15:36 (IST)Lunch timeIts the scheduled Lunch time now and the first session has been washed out due to persistent rain.
Rain has washed out first session on Day here at The Wanderers.— BCCI (@BCCI) January 6, 2022
Let's hope the weather gets better.
We will be back for further updates shortly #TeamIndia | #SAvIND pic.twitter.com/DFYtZONOv9
- 15:06 (IST)No official update yetThere is no official update yet but its still raining. So the first session could be washed out.
- 14:51 (IST)Australia dominate in the AshesMeanwhile in the ongoing Ashes series, Australia took a firm grip of the fourth Test in Sydney. Usman Khawaja smashed 137 off 260 and hosts declared at 416 for eight. England wrapped up Day 2 at 13/0.
- 14:34 (IST)Weather updateThe drizzle is still continuing and no time has been confirmed yet. The first session could be washed out but we need to wait for something from the umpires first.
- 14:32 (IST)Focus on Dean Elgar!South Africa captain Dean Elgar will need to put in a strong performance for his side and will be aiming to not lose his wicket quickly. Edging towards a half-century, he registered 46 off 121 balls on Day 3 and remains unbeaten. His wicket will be key for both teams.
- 14:19 (IST)Weather updateIt is still drizzling in the venue and it could take some time for Day 4 to start.
- 14:07 (IST)Sunil Gavaskar criticises Rishabh PantRishabh Pant hasn't been in good batting form lately. He managed to muster only 17 off 43 balls during the first innings and a three-ball duck in the second innings. White commentating, legendary cricket Sunil Gavaskar lashed out at the wicketkeeper-batter and said that he didn't show a sense of responsibility. Pant was expected to form a partnership with Hanuma Vihari but lost his wicket cheaply."You have got two new batsmen at the crease and then you saw that shot from Rishabh Pant. Forgettable, no excuses for that shot, no excuses. None of that nonsense about that being his natural game. There has to be some sense of responsibility shown. Because there are others taking the blows. There is guys like Rahane and Pujara who have taken it on their body. So you also fight it out," said Gavaskar.
- 13:45 (IST)The moisture could help Indian bowlersIt is still drizzling and the delay could help India as the moisture will be helpful for their bowlers.Also, the pacers will be assisted by overcast conditions.
- 13:29 (IST)Weather update!The covers are still on at the Wanderers Stadium and its still drizzling! The wind has slowed down but it could take some time for the day to start!
- 13:20 (IST)The match has been delayed!Day 4 has been delayed due to rain!
DAY 4 | START DELAYED— Cricket South Africa (@OfficialCSA) January 6, 2022
Inclement weather had brought about a delayed start to Day 4 fo the 2nd Betway Test at Imperial Wanderers#SAvIND #FreedomTestSeries #BePartOfIt pic.twitter.com/ZPZSuw7juy
- 13:16 (IST)It's raining!It's drizzling at the Wanderers Stadium in Johannesburg. Will the play be delayed? It hasn't been confirmed yet.
The Wanderers under a cloud cover at the moment— BCCI (@BCCI) January 6, 2022
It is drizzling here on Day
We will be back with LIVE updates #SAvIND pic.twitter.com/62pKNpaLJ5
- 12:54 (IST)All eyes on Shardul Thakur!Shardul Thakur built on his form from the first innings and dismissed Aiden Markram on Day 3. The pacer picked his maiden five-wicket haul during the first innings and went on to add two more wickets to his tally.
- 12:39 (IST)South Africa need 122 runs!India were bowled out for 266 in their second innings, setting a target of 240 runs. South Africa wrapped up Day 3 at 118 for two and need more 122 runs on Day 4. Dean Elgar (46*) and Rassie van der Dussen (11*) will resume batting for the hosts.
- 12:37 (IST)Hello and good afternoon everyone!Hello and good afternoon everyone! Welcome to our live coverage of Day 4 of the ongoing second Test match between India and South Africa in Johannesburg. Stay tuned for some exciting cricket folks!