Laporta to stand for re-election

Updated: 25 February 2007 10:35 IST

Catalonia's sports court has ruled that FC Barcelona President Joan Laporta will not be suspended from his duties.

Barcelona:

Catalonia's sports court has ruled that FC Barcelona President Joan Laporta will not be suspended from his duties for an alleged violation of the club's statutes. The ruling means that he will be allowed to run for re-election in September. Laporta was accused by four club members of failing to follow Barcelona's rules by not calling a presidential election by the end of June. The members have the right to appeal, either to the court or through legal channels. On Friday, a judge decided that Laporta's four-year term concluded at the end of last month, rejecting an argument from club's board of directors that unusual circumstances should allow him to remain for another year. Laporta and his board now face re-election, which will be probably be held on September 10. Barcelona has shown dramatic improvement under Laporta, who took charge on June 22, 2003. He immediately signed Dutch manager Frank Rijkaard, who has led the side to the past two Spanish leagues - the first since 1999 - and, in May, its second European Champions League title. (AP)

Topics : Football Barcelona
Related Articles
Real Madrid Clinch World Record Deal For Kylian Mbappe: Report
Real Madrid Clinch World Record Deal For Kylian Mbappe: Report
I'm Staying at Real Madrid, Says Cristiano Ronaldo
I'm Staying at Real Madrid, Says Cristiano Ronaldo
Cristiano Ronaldo Will Remain Real Madrid Player For '2-3 More Years', Says Zinedine Zidane
Cristiano Ronaldo Will Remain Real Madrid Player For '2-3 More Years', Says Zinedine Zidane
Show Comments
Advertisement