Manchester United midfielder Ryan Giggs has become the latest celebrity to take legal action against the News of the World newspaper over alleged phone hacking.
Giggs' lawyers at the law firm Schillings said Wednesday that "proceedings have been issued" by the footballer against the Sunday paper, but did not provide further details.
Three News of the World journalists have been arrested after a number of celebrities and public figures have said they were victims of phone hacking by the tabloid. Giggs' United teammate Wayne Rooney said in April he had been contacted by police after his phone was apparently hacked into.
The newspaper has recently published several articles with allegations relating to Giggs' private life.