bin Hammam vows to overturn ban

Updated: 24 July 2011 23:03 IST

Mohamed bin Hammam vowed to overturn his bribery conviction and lifetime ban from soccer on Sunday, calling the decision an act of "revenge" by FIFA and its president, Sepp Blatter.

bin Hammam vows to overturn ban

London:

Mohamed bin Hammam vowed to overturn his bribery conviction and lifetime ban from soccer on Sunday, calling the decision an act of "revenge" by FIFA and its president, Sepp Blatter.

"The ban for life, that shows how much these people are angry, how much they are full of revenge," bin Hammam told the BBC's Sportsweek radio program.

FIFA imposed the ban on Saturday after finding the suspended Asian Football Confederation president guilty of bribery allegations in his campaign to unseat Blatter as head of the sport's world governing body, just months after he helped secure 2022 World Cup hosting rights for his tiny Gulf homeland of Qatar.

The scandal led to bin Hammam abandoning his campaign for the FIFA presidency and ultimately led to the veteran executive committee member becoming the most senior official convicted of corruption in the governing body's 107-year history.

Bin Hammam, who was not present at the hearing, denies the allegations, and plans to clear his name by launching several appeals, including at the Court of Arbitration for Sport in Switzerland.

"The first step for me is the appeals committee of FIFA which is another kangaroo court," he said. "Then after that when we go to CAS things are going to be much improved. At that time I think FIFA will not have the full stage themselves.

"Then I should go to the civil courts in Switzerland where we have full confidence to make the necessary justice."

Bin Hammam added that FIFA has yet to outline the charges against him.

"We wrote to FIFA about 10 days back asking them what are the accusations against Bin Hamman because so far there are no accusations known to us," he said. "Surprisingly, after some days, maybe one or two days before the trial, FIFA wrote back to my lawyers, telling them you will be know the accusations on the 22nd (July). From that we knew that FIFA has already taken (the decision), they just wanted the platform to announce it."

The Qatari also said he will not resign from his FIFA post.

"I am not resigning, I am not going to resign. I will quit with the final say of Switzerland," he said.

Topics : Federation Internationale de Football Association South Africa Mexico Republic of Ireland Football France
Related Articles
48-Team World Cup Proposal Gets Thumbs up at FIFA Meeting
48-Team World Cup Proposal Gets Thumbs up at FIFA Meeting
Sepp Blatter Loses Appeal at CAS Against Six-Year Ban by FIFA
Sepp Blatter Loses Appeal at CAS Against Six-Year Ban by FIFA
Ex-FIFA Chief Sepp Blatter Set to Learn Ban Appeal
Ex-FIFA Chief Sepp Blatter Set to Learn Ban Appeal
Show Comments
Advertisement