Manchester City clinch deal for Inter's Maicon

Updated: 31 August 2012 20:51 IST

Premier League champions Manchester City clinched the signing of Brazil right-back Maicon from Inter Milan for an undisclosed fee on Friday.

London:

Premier League champions Manchester City clinched the signing of Brazil right-back Maicon from Inter Milan for an undisclosed fee on Friday.

City had emerged as surprise contenders for Maicon's signature earlier in the week as boss Roberto Mancini looked to bolster his squad for another assault on the Champions League.

Inter granted City permission to speak to Maicon after accepting their reported £3 million bid for the 31-year-old on Thursday and the deal was concluded on the final day of the transfer window.

"Brazilian defender Maicon has joined Manchester City on a permanent contract. The right-back moves to the Blues from Inter Milan for an undisclosed fee," a statement on City's website confirmed.

Maicon's Inter contract was due to expire at the end of next season and the Italian giants have opted to cash in now rather than risk losing the player on a free transfer in June.

He spent the last six seasons at Inter, making 235 appearances and scoring 20 goals, and was regarded as the best right-back in the world until he was tormented by Tottenham winger Gareth Bale during two Champions League ties in 2010.

The Brazilian had started his career at Cruziero in 2001 before moving to French side Monaco in June 2004.

Maicon, who has won 66 caps for Brazil, will link up with his new club after the international break which begins next week.

Topics : Football Inter Milan Manchester City Alex Ferguson Mark Hughes Dimitar Berbatov Charlie Adam English Premier League Giovani Dos Santos Maicon Douglas Sisenando
Related Articles
Premier League: Zlatan Ibrahimovic Could Be Back This Year, Says Jose Mourinho
Premier League: Zlatan Ibrahimovic Could Be Back This Year, Says Jose Mourinho
Neymar Fined 1.2 Million US Dollars Over Tax Case Delays
Neymar Fined 1.2 Million US Dollars Over Tax Case Delays
FIFA U-17 World Cup: Attendance For Matches Crosses 1 Million
FIFA U-17 World Cup: Attendance For Matches Crosses 1 Million
Show Comments
Advertisement