Everton F.C. reject Manchester United's bid for Leighton Baines and Marouane Fellaini

Updated: 19 August 2013 16:40 IST

Former Everton manager David Moyes lodged a

London:

Everton have turned down a joint bid from Manchester United for Belgium midfielder Marouane Fellaini and England defender Leighton Baines, according to reports on Monday.

Former Everton manager David Moyes lodged a £28 million ($44 million, 33 million euros) bid to bring the pair to Old Trafford, including £16 million for Fellaini, the BBC and other media reported.

A £23.5 million release clause in Fellaini's contract expired at the end of July.

The Premier League champions are believed to have offered the same amount for 28-year-old Baines -- £12 million -- that they bid in June when the offer was flatly rejected.

The BBC website said Everton had greeted the new bid for Baines with anger.

Everton claim Moyes made an unwritten pact with the club not to try to sign their players when he left in the summer to succeed Alex Ferguson.

Moyes signed both players for Everton, paying Wigan £6 million for Baines in August 2007 and signing the lanky Fellaini for a then club record £15m from Belgian club Standard Liege in September 2008.

Moyes has been frustrated in the transfer market with attempts to bring Barcelona midfielder Cesc Fabregas to United so far proving unsuccessful, while England striker Wayne Rooney appears to want to leave Old Trafford for Chelsea.

United crushed Swansea 4-1 in their opening match of the Premier League season on Saturday, while Baines and Fellaini both played as Everton drew 2-2 with Norwich.

Topics : Football Everton Arsenal Manchester City Chelsea Manchester United Alex Ferguson Marouane Fellaini Mark Hughes Leighton Baines Wayne Rooney English Premier League
Related Articles
Premier League: Zlatan Ibrahimovic Could Be Back This Year, Says Jose Mourinho
Premier League: Zlatan Ibrahimovic Could Be Back This Year, Says Jose Mourinho
Neymar Fined 1.2 Million US Dollars Over Tax Case Delays
Neymar Fined 1.2 Million US Dollars Over Tax Case Delays
FIFA U-17 World Cup: Attendance For Matches Crosses 1 Million
FIFA U-17 World Cup: Attendance For Matches Crosses 1 Million
Show Comments
Advertisement