BCCI lost Rs 50 crore on fraud land deal, admits National Cricket Academy

Updated: 08 August 2013 20:59 IST

After having paid nearly Rs 50 crore (Rs 49,97,60,000), BCCI bosses were surprised as to the number of PILs that were filed in the Karnataka High Court. On June 20, the High Court gave its verdict terming the land deal illegal.

BCCI lost Rs 50 crore on fraud land deal, admits National Cricket Academy

New Delhi:

The BCCI, the richest sports body in the country, is in a soup over a Rs 50 crore land deal for its cricket academy near Bangalore after it emerged that a fraud has occurred.


At a meeting of the sub-committee of the National Cricket Academy today, members were apprised of the role of a person, who is believed to be the kingpin in the fraud.

Sources said the person is neither an employee of BCCI nor associated with any state association but signed documents on behalf of the Board with Karnataka Industrial Areas Development Board (KIADB) for procuring 49 acres of land at a place near the airport.

The BCCI made a payment of Rs 46.135 crore for this deal in 2010.

Earlier in 2008, BCCI had paid Rs 3.841 crore to Karnataka government for 32 acres of land in Bidadi on the outskirts of Bangalore for building NCA facilities but the deal was called off as it was far away from the international airport and logistical difficulties were taken into account.

Now after having paid nearly Rs 50 crore (Rs 49,97,60,000), BCCI bosses were surprised as to the number of PILs that were filed in the Karnataka High Court. On June 20, the High Court gave its verdict terming the land deal illegal.

This is when BCCI top brass realised that they have been taken for a ride. The person has since then been untraceable. The role of a former NCA official is also under the scanner.

Sources said the BCCI Game Development Manager Ratnakar Shetty got a statement recorded from the official, who has since been sacked. The official is learnt to have given some details about the person who have allegedly defrauded the BCCI.

The NCA committee today referred the matter to BCCI Working Committee since the amount involved was big and there was an urgent need to decide on what kind of action be taken against people involved in the deal.

A few members also raised questions about how the BCCI disbursed such huge amounts without following proper rules.

Among other decisions approved by NCA sub-committee are: Zonal Cricket Academy (for five zones) are again coming back as State Cricket Academies will be under its wing.

Only BCCI contracted players can avail free rehabilitation programme at the NCA while franchises have to bear costs of injuries during IPL.



Topics : Anil Kumble Cricket
Related Articles
Virat Kohli Rubbishes Ball-Tampering Allegations, Says Ploy to 'Take Focus Away'
Virat Kohli Rubbishes Ball-Tampering Allegations, Says Ploy to 'Take Focus Away'
3rd Test: India Set to Put England Through Another Spin Grind
3rd Test: India Set to Put England Through Another Spin Grind
Parthiv Patel Chosen Over Rishabh Pant Due to Better 'Keeping Skills'
Parthiv Patel Chosen Over Rishabh Pant Due to Better 'Keeping Skills'
Show Comments
Advertisement