Doctors have ruled out surgery to treat Rafael Nadal's knee injury and he could be back on the practice court in a month, Spanish tennis federation doctor Angel Ruiz-Cotorro said Wednesday.
The 26-year-old has been on the sidelines since his shock Wimbledon second-round exit at the hands of unheralded Czech Lukas Rosol in late June because of a torn tendon in is left knee.
That meant he missed the London Olympics, the Masters series events at Toronto and Cincinnati as well as the US Open, which is currently underway in New York and where he reached the final last year.
"We have completely ruled out surgery," Ruiz-Cotorro told a news conference in Barcelona.
"During the next month we'll be doing training with a lot of physiotherapy combined with hydrotherapy and laser and we'll see how he progresses.
"We believe that within two months the tendon will be in what we consider a normal state. In a month's time, if the tests and his progress are positive, he can get back to work on the court," he added.
Ruiz-Cotorro said the main goal of the treament was "for the tendon to recover with the same strength it had" and not his quick return to the court.
"He wants to play when he is in perfect shape, and not take part in a tournament and then stop. He is swimming, cycling, doing physiotherapy, doing the things he has to do," the doctor added.
The former world number one has needed repeated injury lay-offs over the last few years to rest his knees, which take much of the strain that comes from his highly physical style of play.
There have been repeated fears expressed that the rest of his career could be jeopardised if the knee problems get any worse.