Tokyo Olympics Highlights: Wrestler Bajrang Punia To Fight For Bronze Medal, Women's Hockey Team Finishes Fourth
Tokyo Olympics Highlights: Wrestler Bajrang Punia lost to Haji Aliyev in the semi-final of freestyle 65kg category, and is now in contention for a bronze medal.
India's Bajrang Punia lost 5-12 against Haji Aliyev of Azerbaijan in the men's freestyle 65kg category semi-finals at the ongoing Tokyo Olympics on Friday. He will now play for the bronze medal against Russia's Gadzhimurad Rashidov. Earlier, Punia impressed as he went past Morteza Ghiasi of Iran by fall in his quarterfinal bout. On the other hand, wrestler Seema Bisla lost to Sarra Hamdi of Tunisia 1-3 in women's 50kg freestyle 1/8 final. Hamdi lost her quarterfinal bout, ending Seema's hopes of making it to the repechage.
Earlier, the Indian women's hockey team went down fighting 3-4 against Great Britain in the bronze medal match. Skipper Hollie Pearne Webb scored the equaliser for Great Britain after India took a 3-2 lead going into half-time. Grace Balsdon scored the fourth goal, that proved to the winner for Great Britain.
Meanwhile, India also finished fourth in their men's 4x400 relay round 1 (heat 1), thereby failing to qualify.
India's star golfer Aditi Ashok finished Round 3 with 3 under par (-3) 68 points. Aditi is in 2nd place with a score of 12 under par (-12) and a total of 201. India's other golfer, Diksha Dagar finished Round 3 with 1 over par (+1) and is tied 51st -- 7 over par (+7) with total of 220 points. India's Priyanka Goswami finished the Women's 20km Race Walk Final with a time of 1:32:36 and took the 17th spot while Bhawna Jat was ranked 32nd as she finished with a time of 1:37:38.
Here Are The Highlights From Tokyo Olympics 2020
- 18:30 (IST)Women's 1500m final: Faith Kipyegon comes out on top with new Olympic recordKenya's Faith Kipyegon wins the women's 1500m final with a new Olympic record. She clocked 3:53.11. The previous Olympic record was by Romania's Paula Ivan (3:53.96).Silver goes to Great Britain's Laura Muir and silver goes to Netherlands' Sifan Hassan.
- 18:12 (IST)Women's 400m final: Shaunae Miller-Uibo wins gold!The women's 400m final is over and Shaunae Miller-Uibo comes out on top, clocking 48.36.Silver goes to Dominican Reoublic's Marileidy Paulino and bronze goes to USA's Allyson Felix.
- 18:02 (IST)Men's 5000m final: Joshua Cheptegei wins gold!The men's 5000m final is over, and Uganda's Joshua Cheptegei comes out on top. He is followed by Canada's Mohammed Ahmed and USA's Paul Chelimo.
- 17:24 (IST)Women's hockey: Netherlands win gold!Netherlands win golf in women's hockey, defeating Argentina 3-1.Bronze goes to Great Britain, who earlier defeated India on Friday.
- 17:15 (IST)Men's 4x400m Relay Round 1: Heat 2: India fail to qualify!India finish fourth and fail to qualify. Poland came out on top, clocking 2:58.55. Jamaica (2:59.29) finished at second, followed by Belgium (2:59.37).India clocked 3:00.25.The first three in each heat qualify with the next 2 fastest.Netherlands and Italy from Heat 1 clocked 2:58.91 and 2:59.06 respectively.
- 16:34 (IST)Mexico win bronze in men's footballMexico seal a 3-1 win against Japan to win bronze in men's football.Alexis Vega scored for Mexico, alongwith Johan Vasquez and Sebastian Cordova.Kaoru Mitoma scored a consolation goal for Japan.
- 16:28 (IST)Jesus Angel Garcia in his 8th Olympics!In what is the most-ever by an athlete, Jesus Angel Garcia just participated in his 8th Olympics, taking part in the 50km race walk.He has taken part in Barcelona 1992, Atlanta 1996, Sydney 2000, Athens 2004, Beijing 2008, London 2012, Rio 2016, Tokyo 2020.
History made!— Olympics (@Olympics) August 6, 2021
By taking part in the 50km race walk, Jess ngel Garca just participated in his 8th Olympic Games, most-ever for an athlete in #Athletics pic.twitter.com/SovrGyngwG
- 16:19 (IST)Men's sprint (Cycling): Harrie Lavreysen wins gold!World champion Harrie Lavreysen has won gold in men's sprint. Also this is the first gold for Netherlands in this event since 1932.Jeffrey Hoogland of Netherlands wins silver, followed by Great Britain's Jack Carlin for bronze.
Congratulations, Harrie Lavreysen!— Olympics (@Olympics) August 6, 2021
He is the #CyclingTrack men's sprint champion - the first gold in this event for #NED since 1932!#StrongerTogether | #Tokyo2020 | @UCI_Track pic.twitter.com/24oaAtSSX2
- 15:58 (IST)Women's Speed ClimbingWomen's Speed Climbing - World Record BrokenAleksandra Miroslaw of Poland climbs 15m wall in 6.84 seconds to break the world recordTwo days ago, she set the first Olympic record in qualifying
- 15:50 (IST)Men's 4x400m Relay - Round 14x400m Relay - Heat 2India's Amoj Jacob, Naganathan Pandi, Arokia Rajiv, Noah Nirmal Tom and Muhammed Anas Yahiya will compete in the men's 4x400m Relay race Round 1, Heat 2 today eveningThey have a season's best timing of 3:01.89
Next event of #Ind in #Athletics— Athletics Federation of India (@afiindia) August 6, 2021
4x400m men's relay team will run at 5:07pm (India Time) in Round-1 Heat 2
First 3 in each heat (Q) & the next fastest 2 (q) will advance to Final.
Heat 2 teams (LANE 2 to 9)#IND #COL #JAM #FRA #BEL #JPN #POL #RSA
Live on @SonySportsIndia pic.twitter.com/Kn9IaeGIpe
- 15:13 (IST)Wrestling - Bajrang Punia vs Haji Aliyev - Semi-FinalMen's Freestyle 65kg - Bajrang Punia Loses - To Play For BronzeIndia's Bajrang Punia loses 5-12 against Haji Aliyev of Azerbaijan in the semi-finals of the men's freestyle 65kg wrestling categoryHe will now play for the bronze medal against Russia's Gadzhimurad Rashidov
#IND @BajrangPunia goes down 5-12 to #AZE Haji Aliyev in Men's Freestyle 65kg semifinal. He will now play for the #Bronze at #Tokyo2020 tomorrow, 7 Aug.— SAIMedia (@Media_SAI) August 6, 2021
Stay tuned for more updates on #IndiaAtOlympics. pic.twitter.com/FiLYSKSqvn
- 14:52 (IST)Wrestling - Bajrang Punia vs Haji Aliyev - Semi-FinalMen's Freestyle 65kgIndia's Bajrang Punia will face Haji Aliyev of Azerbaijan in the semi-finals of the men's freestyle 65kg wrestling category in a short while from now
wrestler @BajrangPunia will take on #AZE Haji Aliyev in Men's Freestyle 65 Kg Semifinal in a few minutes. It's going to be an exciting match, so stay tuned for updates and don't forget to #Cheer4India#TeamIndia #Wrestling #Olympics #Tokyo2020— SAIMedia (@Media_SAI) August 6, 2021
- 14:41 (IST)Women's 20km Race Walk FinalWomen's Race WalkIndia's Priyanka Goswami finishes the race in 1:32:36She takes the 17th spotBhawna Jat finishes the race in 1:37:38 and is ranked 32ndItaly's Antonella Palmisano takes goldSandra Lorena Arenas of Colombia takes silverHong Liu of China wins bronze
- 12:51 (IST)Women's 20km Race Walk FinalWomen's Race WalkPriyanka Goswami will represent India in the women's 20km Race Walk in a few minutes from now
athlete @Priyanka_Goswam is all set to participate in 20Km Race Walk event at #Tokyo2020— SAIMedia (@Media_SAI) August 6, 2021
Watch this space for updates and don't forget to #Cheer4India#Athletics #Olympics #TeamIndia pic.twitter.com/tHybDinxLb
- 12:49 (IST)Women's 20km Race Walk FinalWomen's Race WalkIndia's Bhawna Jat will be in action in a short while from now in the women's 20km Race Walk
Race walker Bhawna Jat will begin her journey at #Tokyo2020 in a few minutes.— SAIMedia (@Media_SAI) August 6, 2021
Stay tuned for updates and don't forget to send in your #Cheer4India messages.#Athletics #Olympics pic.twitter.com/ZRpwrXiHJN
- 11:13 (IST)Women's Individual Stroke Play - Round 3Women's GolfIndia's other golfer, Diksha Dagar finishes Round 3 with 1 over par (+1) and 72 pointsDiksha is Tied at 51st Rank - 7 over par (+7) with total of 220 points
#IND Golfer @DikshaDagar finished the #Golf Women's Round 3 with 1 over par (+1) & 72 points.— SAIMedia (@Media_SAI) August 6, 2021
With this Diksha is Tied at 51st Rank - 7 over par (+7) with total of 220 points
Let's continue supporting her with #Cheer4India messages. pic.twitter.com/JVP7SPjup7
- 11:12 (IST)Golf - Women's Individual Stroke Play - Round 3Women's GolfIndia's star golfer Aditi Ashok finishes Round 3 with 3 under par (-3) 68 pointsAditi is at 2nd Rank 12 under par (-12) with a total of 201 points
#IND Golfer @aditigolf continues her amazing run, finishing the #Golf Women's Round 3 with 3 under par (-3) 68 points— SAIMedia (@Media_SAI) August 6, 2021
With this, Aditi is at 2nd Rank 12 under par (-12) with a total of 201 points
Let's continue supporting her with #Cheer4India messages. pic.twitter.com/3RxyQTmz6O
- 10:00 (IST)Wrestling - Bajrang Punia vs Morteza Ghiasi - 1/4 FinalMen's Freestyle 65kg - Bajrang Punia Wins - Advances To SemisIndia's Bajrang Punia wins by fall against Morteza Ghiasi of Iran in the men's Freestyle 65kg wrestling categoryHe will now face Haji Aliyev of Azerbaijan in the semifinals
BAJRANG ADVANCES TO SEMIFINAL!!#IND @BajrangPunia advances to the semifinal of Men's freestyle 65 Kg by winning by fall against #IRI Morteza Cheka Ghiasi— SAIMedia (@Media_SAI) August 6, 2021
Watch this space for updates on #Olympics #Tokyo2020#Cheer4India pic.twitter.com/Kzi5xPknbl
- 09:10 (IST)Wrestling - Ernazar Akmataliev vs Bajrang Punia- 1/8 FinalMen's Freestyle 65kg - Bajrang Punia Wins - Advances To QuartersIndia's medal hopeful Bajrang Punia wins his first bout against Ernazar Akmataliev of Kyrgyzstan in the men's Freestyle 65kg 1/8 FinalHe will now take on Morteza Ghiasi of Iran in the quarterfinals
#IND @BajrangPunia makes a winning start to his #Olympics campaign as he beats Ernazar Akmatalaiev of #KGZ Winning by Points— SAIMedia (@Media_SAI) August 6, 2021
With this Bajrang advances to quarterfinal
Watch him Live in QF at 9:17 AM (IST)#Cheer4India pic.twitter.com/2uc2RAHQ1n
- 08:55 (IST)Wrestling - Ernazar Akmataliev vs Bajrang Punia- 1/8 FinalMen's Freestyle 65kgIndia's medal hopeful Bajrang Punia will take on Ernazar Akmataliev of Kyrgyzstan in the men's Freestyle 65kg 1/8 Final in a few minutes from now
.@BajrangPunia is ready to take on #KGZ Ernazar Akmataliev in 65kg Freestyle 1/8 final in a few minutes— SAIMedia (@Media_SAI) August 6, 2021
Let's send wishes with #Cheer4India for his #Olympics debut#Wrestling #Tokyo2020 pic.twitter.com/2GOzi4NI4n
- 08:45 (IST)Hockey - Great Britain vs India - Bronze Medal MatchWomen's Hockey - Full Time - India LoseThe Indian women's hockey team loses 3-4 as they go down fighting in the bronze medal match against Great BritainA great performance from Team India women, who gave it their all and came so close to securing a medalScore: 3:4
So near, yet so far.— Hockey India (@TheHockeyIndia) August 6, 2021
We go down fighting against Great Britain in our Bronze Medal match. #GBRvIND #HaiTayyar #IndiaKaGame #Tokyo2020 #TeamIndia #TokyoTogether #StrongerTogether #HockeyInvites #WeAreTeamIndia #Hockey pic.twitter.com/PlaYx8MrY9
- 08:33 (IST)