Tokyo Olympics Highlights: Women Shine As Mary Kom, Manika Batra, PV Sindhu Advance
Tokyo Olympics Highlights: Boxing legend MC Mary Kom, paddler Manika Batra and badminton star PV Sindhu advanced into the next round of their respective events after a good showing today.
Boxing legend MC Mary Kom kicked off her campaign today with a win against Dominican Republic's Miguelina Hernandez Garcia to advance to the last 16 in Women's Flyweight. Indian paddler Manika Batra came from behind to register an inspirational 3-4 win against Margaryta Pesotska of Ukraine in the second round of the women's singles table tennis event. India's Sathiyan Gnanasekaran was knocked out of men's singles table tennis event after losing 3-4 to Hong Kong's Lam Siu Hang in Round 2. In badminton, India's medal hopeful and 2016 Rio Games silver medallist, PV Sindhu won her women's singles first round match in straight games against Israel's Ksenia Polikarpova. Earlier, Indian shooters Divyansh Singh Panwar and Deepak Kumar failed to live up to their expectations as they missed the cut to make it to the final of men's 10m Air Rifle event. Shooters, Manu Bhaker (rank 12) and Yashaswini Singh Deswal (rank 13) disappointed as well when they failed to qualify for the Women's 10m Air Pistol Final. In tennis, India's women's pair of Sania Mirza and Ankita Raina lost their first round match against Ukraine's Liudmyla Kichenok and Nadiia Kichenok. The Indian tennis duo showcased authority as they won the first set 6-0 but soon lost their rhythm before going down to the Ukrainian twins.
Here are the HIGHLIGHTS from Day 3 Of The Tokyo Olympics:
- 17:10 (IST)Men's Hockey Pool A Match: India 1-7 AustraliaIndia crashed to a 1-7 defeat against Australia in their Men's Hockey Pool A match. Dilpreet Singh scored the consolation for India, with Tim Brand, Joshua Beltz, Daniel James Beale, Flynn Andrew Ogilvie, Jeremy Thomas Hayward scoring a goal each for Australia. Blake Govers scored a brace for the winners.
- 15:23 (IST)Manish Kaushik knocked out!India's Manish Kaushik was knocked out by Luke McCormack in Round of 32. It was a split decision as the Indian boxer went down 1-4 to the pugilist from Great Britain.
- 13:30 (IST)
- 13:16 (IST)
- 13:03 (IST)Table Tennis - Margaryta Pesotska vs Manika Batra - Round 2 !Women's SinglesIndian paddler Manika Batra makes a terrific comeback to win the third and fourth game to level proceedings after losing the first two against Margaryta Pesotska of Ukraine in the second round of the women's singles table tennis event.Score: 11-4 11-4 7-11 10-12
- 11:38 (IST)Table Tennis - Sathiyan Gnanasekaran vs Lam Siu Hang - Round 2 !Men's Singles - India's Sathiyan Gnanasekaran ExitsLam Siu Hang registers a terrific comeback against India's Sathiyan Gnanasekaran to win 3-4 in Round 2 of the men's singles table tennis eventSathiyan won three games in a row (2, 3 and 4th) but Lam Siu returned brilliantly to take the last three which resulted in the Indian being knocked out of the competitionScore: 7-11 11-7 11-4 11-5 9-11 10-12 6-11
- 11:21 (IST)
- 11:09 (IST)Artistic Gymnastics - Pranati Nayak At Brink Of Exit!Top 8 Ranked Gymnasts Qualify To Apparatus FinalIndia's lone gymnast Pranati Nayak was at the brink of exit and could fail to qualify for All Round finalsNayak scored a total of 42.565 at the end of 1st subdivisionRotation 1- 10.633Rotation 2- 13.466Rotation 3- 9.033Rotation 4- 9.433