Tokyo Olympics Highlights: Weightlifter Mirabai Chanu Wins India's 1st Medal, Manika Batra Progresses Into Singles Round 2
Tokyo Olympics Highlights: Weightlifter Mirabai Chanu opened up India's tally, winning a silver medal in her event. Meanwhile, paddler Manika Batra cruised into the Singles Round 2.
Weightlifter Mirabai Chanu gave India its first medal at Tokyo 2020 as she won the silver medal in the women's 49kg category as China's Zhihu Hou took gold. China's Zhihu lifted 94kg to create an Olympic record while a new Olympic record was registered by Mirabai Chanu with a successful lift of 115kg in clean and jerk. Indian shooters, however, disappointed as Saurabh Chaudhary finished seventh in men's 10m Air Pistol final. Elavenil Valarivan finished at 16th while Apurvi Chandela finished 36th and therefore failed to qualify in the 10m air rifle women's qualification round.
Meanwhile, India's boxing campaign began on a poor note, as Vikas Krishan lost to Japan's Sewonrets Quincy Mensah Okazawa in his Men's Welter (69kg) Round of 32 clash. Also, the Indian women's hockey team began their campaign on a poor note, losing 1-5 to Netherlands in their Pool A fixture.
In table tennis singles event, Manika Batra won her first round match against Tin-Tin Ho of Great Britain in straight games. In doubles, India's Sharath Kamal and Manika Batra lost in straight games against the Chinese Taipei pair of Yun Ju Lin and Ching I Cheng in their Round of 16 clash in the mixed doubles event. In tennis, Sumit Nagal won his first round singles match against 2018 Asian Games gold medallist Denis Istomin of Uzbekistan. Indian badminton men's doubles pair of Satwiksairaj Rankireddy and Chirag Shetty overcame a difficult challenge from the Chinese Taipei's duo of Yang Lee and Chi-Lin Wang.
Meanwhile, badminton player Sai Praneeth lost to Misha Zilberman of Israel in the men's singles Group Stage. In men's hockey, India beat New Zealand 3-2 in the Pool A match as they recovered from a bad start early in the match. Indian women's hockey team will also be kick-starting their campaign on Day 2. In Archery, India's Deepika Kumari and Pravin Jadhav lost to South Korea's An San and Kim Je Deok in the quarterfinal.
- 18:43 (IST)FULL-TIME | NED 5-1 INDIts full-time and Netherlands thrash India 5-1! It has been a disappointing game for Rani Rampal and Co.
- 16:55 (IST)Watch: The moment Sumit Nagal became the first Indian to advance to the second round of men's tennis at Olympics since 1996Sumit Nagal became the first Indian since 1996 to reach the second round of men's singles in Olympics. He defeated Denis Istomin 6-4, 6-7, 6-4. Leander Paes last did it in Atlanta 1996. He will also next face Daniil Medvedev.
.@nagalsumit - the first Indian to advance to the second round of men's singles #Tennis at the #Olympics since @Leander did it at Atlanta 1996! #IND— #Tokyo2020 for India (@Tokyo2020hi) July 24, 2021
Next up, @DaniilMedwed! #BestOfTokyo | #Tokyo2020 | #StrongerTogether | #UnitedByEmotion pic.twitter.com/VeRcih23Dl
- 14:29 (IST)Table Tennis Women's Singles- Linda Bergstroem vs Sutirtha Mukherjee- Round 1- FinishSutirtha Mukherjee Wins 4-3 Vs Linda Bergstroem!India's Sutirtha Mukherjee took the seventh game to register a win in the first round against Linda Bergstroem of Sweden in the table tennis women's singles event.Score: 11-5 9-11 13-11 11-9 3-11 9-11 5-11
- 14:20 (IST)Table Tennis Women's Singles- Linda Bergstroem vs Sutirtha Mukherjee- Round 1Sutirtha Mukherjee Levels 3-3 Vs Linda Bergstroem!India's Sutirtha Mukherjee takes the sixth game as well to level score with Linda Bergstroem of Sweden three games all in the table tennis women's singles event.Score: 11-5 9-11 13-11 11-9 3-11 9-11
- 14:12 (IST)Table Tennis Women's Singles- Linda Bergstroem vs Sutirtha Mukherjee- Round 1Sutirtha Mukherjee Reduces Gap To 2-3 Vs Linda Bergstroem!India's Sutirtha Mukherjee takes the fifth game but is still trailing to Linda Bergstroem of Sweden three games to two in the table tennis women's singles event.Score: 11-5 9-11 13-11 11-9 3-11
- 14:01 (IST)
- 12:16 (IST)
- 12:10 (IST)Weightlifting - Mirabai Chanu Wins Silver In 49kg Category!Mirabai Chanu Wins Silver!Weightlifter Mirabai Chanu gives India its first medal at Tokyo 2020, winning the silver medal in the women's 49kg category.New Olympic record was registered by Mirabai Chanu with a successful lift of 115kg in clean and jerk.China's Zhihu Hou takes gold.