Listen to the latest songs, only on JioSaavn.com
 

Nick Kyrgios Pulls Out of Rio Olympics After Being Asked to 'Behave'

Updated: 03 June 2016 11:33 IST

Nick Kyrgios received a code violation at the French Open for shouting at a ball boy and was fined for an audible obscenity during his thrashing at the hands of Richard Gasquet

Nick Kyrgios Pulls Out of Rio Olympics After Being Asked to Behave
Nick Kyrgios is no stranger to controversy, frequently falling foul of tennis authorities. © AFP

Sydney:

Fiery Australian tennis star Nick Kyrgios on Friday pulled out of the Rio Olympics, blaming "unwarranted attacks" on him by Australian Olympic chiefs after he was warned to behave.

His decision follows fellow Australian Bernard Tomic making himself unavailable for Games selection last month after widespread criticism about his recent on-court attitude and behaviour.

"Unfortunately, while I have expressed every intention of trying to win a medal for my country in Rio, it's very clear to me that the Australian Olympic Committee has other plans," the world number 19 said in a statement.

"AOC's unfair and unjust treatment of me over the last four weeks, as well as the organisation's crystal clear position on whether they want me to be a part of the Australian Olympic team, has solidified my final decision."

His bombshell announcement follows a war of words with the AOC's chef de mission Kitty Chiller, who had voiced concerns over selecting Kyrgios and Tomic due to their behaviour.

She acknowledged Kyrgios' decision in a brief statement Friday, adding that "in regard to selection every athlete in contention is treated equally and fairly".

"We have no further comment on this issue."

Volatile 21-year-old Kyrgios is no stranger to controversy, frequently falling foul of tennis authorities.

Most recently, he received a code violation at the French Open for shouting at a ball boy and was fined for an audible obscenity during his thrashing at the hands of Richard Gasquet.

He said playing for Australia at the Olympics had been a childhood dream and blasted the AOC for not talking to him.

"While I have received assurances from Tennis Australia that I will be nominated for the Olympic team, the AOC has chosen to publicly and privately disparage me," he said.

"Not one member of the AOC has reached out to me, my family, my team, or representatives of Tennis Australia, asking for a meeting or the opportunity to discuss their concerns.

"The AOC's unwarranted attacks on me demonstrate the organisation's inability to understand the circumstances surrounding highly competitive sports."

In the wake of Chiller's criticism, Tennis Australia publicly backed Kyrgios, saying he was making a concerted effort to improve his performance and behaviour.

TA president Steve Healy said Friday that Kyrgios continued to have the organisation's support.

"We understand Nick's decision and totally support him and his right to make it," Healy said. "But we are very disappointed that he has been put in this position.

"Nick is a passionate competitor and he's working hard to learn and mature in a highly pressurised environment where he is under constant public scrutiny."

Tennis Australia is due to make its Olympic selections on June 30, based on rankings. With Kyrgios and Tomic out of the running, John Millman (61) and Jordan Thompson (94) are next in line.

Comments
Topics mentioned in this article Nick Kyrgios Richard Gasquet Bernard Tomic Olympics 2016 Tennis
Highlights
  • Australian tennis star Nick Kyrgios pulled out of 2016 Rio Olympics
  • Kyrgios accused Australian Olympic officials of unfairly treating him
  • Kyrgios received code violation at French Open for shouting at a ball boy
Related Articles
Premier League Stars Warn Of $245 Million Shortfall In Coronavirus Wage Cut Row
Premier League Stars Warn Of $245 Million Shortfall In Coronavirus Wage Cut Row
2020 F1 Championship Should Be Cancelled: Bernie Ecclestone
2020 F1 Championship Should Be Cancelled: Bernie Ecclestone
Coronavirus: Australia Coach Justin Langer Backs Cricket Behind Closed Doors
Coronavirus: Australia Coach Justin Langer Backs Cricket Behind Closed Doors
Coronavirus: Belgian Federation In Talks With UEFA Over Early End To Its Season
Coronavirus: Belgian Federation In Talks With UEFA Over Early End To Its Season
Coronavirus: Liverpool Furlough Move Draws Stinging Criticism From Ex-Players
Coronavirus: Liverpool Furlough Move Draws Stinging Criticism From Ex-Players
Advertisement