Manchester City captain Vincent Kompany insists he doesn't regret ignoring Manuel Pellegrini's warning that he shouldn't play for Belgium in a recent Euro 2016 qualifier. (Manuel Pellegrini Slams Belgium Over Vincent Kompany Call-up)
Prior to Sunday's 0-0 draw against Manchester United, City boss Pellegrini left Kompany out of his starting line-up for the previous two matches. (Vincent Kompany Says Manchester City Won't Surrender Title Without a Fight)
The Chilean was unhappy with the centre-back, and Belgium coach Marc Wilmots, for fielding the player in the Euro 2016 qualifier against Israel even though the hosts had already secured qualification.
The 29-year-old admits it is difficult juggling the demands of club and country, but appears to be happy with his decision to play.
"For now, in the past and the future, it's always going to be a little bit of a tricky situation," Kompany said.
"They (City and Belgium) are two very important teams that have different goals and ambitions and it's just normal that stuff like this happens.
"I would not have played if I was not fit. But I'm a professional and I don't need too much explanation. I just deal with it. I dealt with my decision and I didn't have a problem with it."
Pellegrini insisted he was not "punishing" Kompany by leaving him out of the team for the games against Bournemouth and Sevilla.
And the player himself dismissed claims that he had fallen out with his manager over the matter.
"There is no problem with me and the manager," he said
"I'm a professional. I don't need anyone giving me any explanation. It's not at 29 that I need too much explanation any more. Every single time I've had the chance to put my boots on this term I've done very well, with my national team and club. I'm a team player. We all want to achieve the same thing in the end," Kompany said.