Manchester City youth player bailed over fatal crash

Updated: 03 September 2012 21:13 IST

Manchester City youth team footballer Courtney Meppen-Walter was released on bail on Monday following his arrest over the deaths of a brother and sister in a road crash, police said.

London:

Manchester City youth team footballer Courtney Meppen-Walter was released on bail on Monday following his arrest over the deaths of a brother and sister in a road crash, police said.

Meppen-Walter, 18, had been arrested on suspicion of causing death by dangerous driving following the crash in Manchester, northwest England, at about 10:15pm Saturday, Greater Manchester Police said in a statement.

Driver Kulwant Singh, 32, was killed along with his sister, front seat passenger Ravel-Kaur Singh, 37, when their Nissan Micra was in collision with a Mercedes which Meppen-Walter is believed to have been driving.

The crash also injured Ravel-Kaur's two sons, aged 16 and 17, who were back seat passengers, the statement said.

A second man, aged 19, who was driving a Volkswagen Golf, was also arrested on suspicion of causing death by dangerous driving and has been bailed.

A spokeswoman for the English Premier League champions said: "It is a devastating tragedy for this family and also for the Greater Manchester community at large. Manchester City Football Club offers its heartfelt condolences to the family and all affected.

"The situation is subject to an extensive investigation by Greater Manchester Police and therefore we are unable to make specific comment on the incident itself at this time."

Defender Meppen-Walter has been with City since 2003 but is yet to play for the first team.

The youth team player was a regular for the England Under-17 side last season.

Topics : Football Inter Milan
Related Articles
Picture This! Pensive Neymar Stirs Renewed Paris Saint-Germain Fever
Picture This! Pensive Neymar Stirs Renewed Paris Saint-Germain Fever
Alvaro Morata Completes Chelsea Move, Targets Silverware
Alvaro Morata Completes Chelsea Move, Targets Silverware
Antonio Conte Signs New Two-Year Deal With Chelsea
Antonio Conte Signs New Two-Year Deal With Chelsea
Show Comments
Advertisement