FIFA World Cup: Luis Suarez to Appeal 'Fascist' Bite Ban, Says Lawyer

Updated: 12 July 2014 08:09 IST

FIFA had rejected an appeal day by Uruguay and Luis Suarez over the severity of his punishment. But now he is going to the Court of Arbitration for Sport (CAS) to try to reduce his sanction for biting Italy's Giorgio Chiellini in a Group D game on June 24, his lawyer said.

FIFA World Cup: Luis Suarez to Appeal 'Fascist' Bite Ban, Says Lawyer
Uruguays Luis Suarez reacts after biting Italian defender Giorgio Chiellini during a 2014 FIFA World Cup match. © AP

Madrid:

Uruguayan striker Luis Suarez will appeal a "fascist' four-month ban for biting a World Cup rival, his lawyer said Friday. (Uruguay Appeal Against Suarez Ban)

FIFA had rejected an appeal the previous day by Uruguay and the 27-year-old over the severity of his punishment. (Suarez Banned for Four Months)

But now Suarez is going to the Court of Arbitration for Sport (CAS) to try to reduce his sanction for biting Italy's Giorgio Chiellini in a Group D game on June 24, his lawyer said. (Suarez Apologises)

"We knew the decision of the corporation that is FIFA would not be favourable," the player's lawyer Alejandro Balbi told Spanish radio Cope.

"We are going to appeal to the CAS. We are going to actually do it in the next few hours," the lawyer added.

Balbi said he hoped the sports tribunal would revoke "a draconian sanction, which is of a totalitarian and fascist hue, by any reckoning".

Hours after the interview, Barcelona announced they had bought Suarez from Liverpool, signing him for five seasons despite the biting uproar.

Neither club gave financial details of the signing, which Spanish media said was worth 81 million euros ($110 million).

Suarez had initially denied any wrongdoing in the biting. He later issued an apology admitting Chiellini had "suffered the physical result of a bite" as a result of Suarez's actions.

It was the third time Suarez had been found guilty of biting an opponent in his career.

If FIFA's four-month ban on all football activity is upheld, Suarez will not play football again until late October.

A nine-match international ban also means he will miss all or most of Uruguay's campaign in the 2015 Copa America.

Balbi said he regretted that FIFA's disciplinary committee had failed to take into account Suarez's apology.

"We think it was an important element. But we have seen it mattered little to the gentlemen of FIFA that he had confessed and repented," he said.

"The nine matches could seem over the top. But not being able to see a game of football, or train and carry out your work, is extremely unpleasant," Balbi added.



Topics : Luis Suarez FIFA World Cup 2014 Uruguay Football
Related Articles
El Clasico: Sergio Ramos Rescues Real Madrid With Late Equaliser vs Barcelona
El Clasico: Sergio Ramos Rescues Real Madrid With Late Equaliser vs Barcelona
La Liga: Lionel Messi-Less Barcelona Fire Blank Against Nine-Man Malaga
La Liga: Lionel Messi-Less Barcelona Fire Blank Against Nine-Man Malaga
Luis Suarez in Blockbuster Barcelona Extension Talks
Luis Suarez in Blockbuster Barcelona Extension Talks
Show Comments
Advertisement