Robbie Fowler set for move to Blackpool

Updated: 02 March 2012 12:39 IST

Former Liverpool and England striker Robbie Fowler is contemplating a return to English football with Championship side Blackpool after plans to play in India fell through.

Robbie Fowler set for move to Blackpool

London:

Former Liverpool and England striker Robbie Fowler is contemplating a return to English football with Championship side Blackpool after plans to play in India fell through.

The 36-year-old has played in Australia and Thailand since leaving English football four years ago following a brief spell at Blackburn Rovers.

He was set to appear in the new Premier League Soccer (PLS) competition in India before its latest postponement saw him change tack and head back to north-west England, where he made his name with Liverpool.

Now Fowler is training at nearby Blackpool, relegated from the lucrative English Premier League last season and currently pushing for an immediate return to the top flight from the second-tier Championship.

In a series of posts on their official Twitter page, Blackpool said: "Former Liverpool striker Robbie Fowler has trained with the club today (Thursday) with a view to signing a permanent deal.

"No deal has yet been agreed but (Blackpool manager) Ian Holloway revealed in his press conference the striker has impressed and is close to full fitness."

Blackpool face Hull on Friday but the club dismissed suggestions Fowler would sign in time to face a side managed by former Liverpool team-mate Nick Barmby.

"Contrary to some reports, Fowler would not be available for Friday's game, should he sign a deal," Blackpool said.

Last week Fowler, hired to play in West Bengal's PLS, tweeted the tournament appeared unlikely to go ahead.

"Ah well.. India looks like its cancelled, boots are clean and looking for a new place to play," wrote Fowler, sold for $530,000 to the Kolkata franchise at an auction last month.

The PLS, based along the lines of cricket's popular Indian Premier League, was postponed for a second time last week.

It was due to start on February 25, then put off until March 24, before the latest delay, which was caused by problems organising grounds. No new date has been set for the event to start.

 

Related Articles
Ole Gunnar Solskjaer named Cardiff City manager
Ole Gunnar Solskjaer named Cardiff City manager
David Moyes says that Wayne Rooney likely to miss future games
David Moyes says that Wayne Rooney likely to miss future games
Manuel Pellegrini buoyed by Manchester City's away-day upturn
Manuel Pellegrini buoyed by Manchester City's away-day upturn
Show Comments
Advertisement