English Premier League Will Be Peaceful Without Luis Suarez, Says Chief Executive

Updated: 13 August 2014 21:52 IST

Luis Suarez came under criticism from the English Premier League chief executive Richard Scudamore for his temperamental behaviour on the pitch. Suarez left Liverpool for Barcelona in a 75 million pounds deal.

English Premier League Will Be Peaceful Without Luis Suarez, Says Chief Executive
Barcelona's Uruguayan forward Luis Suarez who is currently serving a four-month suspension after his infamous World Cup bite of Italy's defender Giorgio Chiellini arrives on August 8, 2014 for his appeals before the Court of Arbitration for Sport (CAS) in Lausanne. © AFP

Luis Suarez is "an accident waiting to happen", English Premier League chief executive Richard Scudamore said Wednesday, adding he was glad the controversial forward had left Liverpool for Barcelona.

The Uruguay striker left Anfield for Camp Nou in a 75 million pounds deal ($127 million, 95 million euro) after he was banned for four months from all football after biting Italy defender Giorgio Chiellini at the World Cup in Brazil. (Luis Suarez to learn World Cup bite ban appeal verdict on Thursday)

Scudamore said the Premier League would be more peaceful without Suarez, whose ban was his third for biting. (Jose Mourinho hails 'bargain buy' Diego Costa)

"I think probably the time had come," said Scudamore talking at the launch of the Premier League season, which starts on Saturday. (Arsenal can win EPL title, says Freddie Ljungberg)

"He's a great player and I'm not taking anything away from his talents: he was voted by both his own players and the media last year the player of the year and deservedly so. (Man United ban ipads at Old Trafford)

"He's great to have but an accident waiting to happen, and if you spend your time trying to promote what's good about the Premier League, you're always waiting for the next thing to come along. (Ronaldinho close to joining Santos)

"And this one in the summer, although it was with Uruguay, although it didn't directly involve the Premier League, clearly it reflected on Liverpool as one of our great clubs and it reflected on us," he added.

"He's done his time here, but I can't say I'm sorry to see him go.

"I think it was good business on a number of levels from Liverpool to move Suarez on," said Scudamore.

Suarez has appealed against his FIFA ban to the Swiss-based Court of Arbitration for Sport and will learn their decision on Thursday.

The striker was banned for 10 games for biting Chelsea's Branislav Ivanovic in 2013 and sidelined for seven matches for biting PSV Eindhoven's Otman Bakkal in Ajax action in 2010.

Topics : Luis Suarez Liverpool Barcelona English Premier League Football
Related Articles
El Clasico: Sergio Ramos Rescues Real Madrid With Late Equaliser vs Barcelona
El Clasico: Sergio Ramos Rescues Real Madrid With Late Equaliser vs Barcelona
La Liga: Lionel Messi-Less Barcelona Fire Blank Against Nine-Man Malaga
La Liga: Lionel Messi-Less Barcelona Fire Blank Against Nine-Man Malaga
Luis Suarez in Blockbuster Barcelona Extension Talks
Luis Suarez in Blockbuster Barcelona Extension Talks
Show Comments
Advertisement