Afridi not to contest fine, happy with NOC
Sacked Pakistan captain Shahid Afridi was on Thursday slapped with a hefty fine of 4.5 million rupees by the PCB disciplinary committee after he pleaded guilty of breaching the Cricket Board's Code of Conduct at a hearing.
- Press Trust of India
- Updated: June 16, 2011 11:27 pm IST
Sacked Pakistan captain Shahid Afridi was on Thursday slapped with a hefty fine of 4.5 million rupees by the PCB disciplinary committee after he pleaded guilty of breaching the Cricket Board's Code of Conduct at a hearing.
Afridi was, however, granted no-objection certificate to play abroad, clearing the way for his appearance for Hampshire in English Twenty20 tournament.
The all-rounder pleaded guilty before the four-member committee to the charges of violating his central contract clauses in unilaterally announcing his retirement and criticising the PCB and its officials.
"The committee unanimously decided to fine him 4.5 million rupees (USD 53,000) for various breaches of code of conduct," PCB legal advisor Tafazzul Rizvi told reporters here.
"The committee recommended his NOCs to play abroad be restored, which Pakistan Cricket Board has endorsed," he said.
Reacting to the committee ruling, Afridi said he will not appeal against the imposition of fine.
"No, I will not appeal, the fine is okay with me. I attended the hearing basically because I wanted to resolve this matter as it has caused Pakistan cricket harm," he said.
"I am glad the matter is over now and I have got my NOC. I am thankful to the disciplinary committee for listening patiently to me and in a good atmosphere."
He said he is not interested in playing international cricket at the moment.
"Right now I am not thinking about playing international cricket. But I will be going to England to play for Hampshire. Let us see I have time before I decide anything about my future international career," he said.
Rizvi said due to circumstances involved in the dispute, Afridi was slapped a fine and not handed a harsher punishment.
"Afridi accepted his guilt and due to mitigating circumstances the committee decided to only impose a fine on him," Rizvi said.
The PCB announced the decisions of the disciplinary committee, headed by Sultan Rana, nearly three hours after the hearing.
Earlier in the day, Afridi had refused to apologise for his alleged violation of PCB Code of Conduct but said that he would accept the verdict of the disciplinary committee.
"I admit I have made mistakes but circumstances forced me to do things. But I have not apologised to the committee," Afridi had told reporters after the hearing.
Rizvi said the entire hearing procedure was according to the PCB Code of Conduct and constitution.
PCB senior official Subhan Ahmed said the fine would be recovered from Afridi by deducting from his payments by the Board.
He also made it clear that Afridi had only been given NOC to play for Hampshire.
"If he wants to play in another foreign league he has to apply afresh for the NOC," he said.
Afridi was charged earlier this month with breaching the PCB Code of Conduct by abruptly announcing his retirement from international cricket to the media and making disparaging comments about Board officials.
He announced his retirement after the PCB removed him as captain for a one-day series against Ireland.
He then filed petition before the Sindh High Court challenging the disciplinary proceedings against him and also demanding for an independent tribunal to hear his case.
But after meeting with PCB Chairman Ijaz butt in Islamabad earlier this week, Afridi changed his mind and withdraw his petition from the High Curt and agreed to appear before the disciplinary committee.
Afridi was also fined three million rupees by the Board last year after the Australian tour for his offence of tampering with the ball during the fifth ODI at Perth.
He appealed to Butt and the fine was revoked after the PCB chairman said the player had already been punished by the ICC for the same offence.