Jwala Gutta may miss out on playing China Open next month
Jwala Gutta learnt on Friday that her entry was not sent by the BAI for the China Open that starts November 12.
Embattled shuttler Jwala Gutta on Friday said she might miss out of playing in next month's China Open as the Badminton Association of India (BAI) didn't send her entry for the Super Series Premier event by the stipulated October 8 deadline.
The China Open is scheduled to be held from November 12 to 17 in Shanghai and the last date for sending the entries was last Tuesday.
However, Jwala said she learnt on Friday that her entry was not sent by the BAI for the China Open.
"I have no idea. I just learnt from Ashwini (Ponnappa) that they did not send my China Open entries also. I was supposed to play at my own cost. I am not even asking them to put me in the team," Jwala told reporters.
"I am playing tournaments at my own cost. Even then, you are stopping me from playing, who are you to stop me from playing? Whose way I am coming. I am not coming anybody's way also. You send who you want to. I am playing at my own cost.
"Why do you see me as a threat? I hope they will send my entries. I want to play badminton. That is my only aim in life," she added.
The BAI had earlier withdrawn her name from next week's Denmark Open after forming a three-member committee to decide on the recommended life ban on the top shuttler by its disciplinary committee for a disciplinary breach in the IBL.
Jwala regretted that Chief National coach Pullela Gopichand expressed his inability to help her after the BAI disciplinary committee recommended the life ban on her.
"I had called Gopi but he said he could not help," Jwala said.
Facing a life ban, Jwala had dragged BAI to the Delhi High Court, which allowed her to participate in upcoming tournaments yesterday.
The Commonwealth Games gold medallist today said that she wants to focus on her game and play tournaments.
"I want to get back into the badminton court. I like being here (Lal Bahadur stadium in Hyderabad where she practices). I want to play tournaments. I am much stronger now," she said.
Jwala, who had won the women's doubles bronze medal in the 2011 World Championship, thanked her doubles partner Ashwini Ponnappa, coach S M Arif, sports NGO Clean Sports India, Banga Beats coach Vimal Kumar, her friends and the media for supporting her cause.
"I am happy that the order of the honourable judge was in our favour. I am happy that I am allowed to play. My whole life I have done nothing but played badminton. I just hope to continue to do that and bring laurels to the country," she said.
Talking about the allegation against her that she tried to prevent players of her franchise Krrish Delhi Smashers from playing in an IBL match in August this month, Jwala said she did not provoke or prevent anybody and that the delay was because the concerned authorities were trying to sort out the matter.
Jwala said she spoke to Union Sports Minister Jitendra Singh who is looking into the issue. The minister had earlier said he could look into the matter if Jwala approaches him.
The Hyderabadi shuttler said she did not commit any crime and is happy for having stood up for her rights.
"I am happy that I am happy standing up. We are just fighting for our, standing up for our rights," she said.
Jwala said it was "ridiculous" to impose a life ban on her and BAI has made themselves a laughing stock by this move.
"Everybody is laughing at their face. The media is laughing at them. It is really overwhelming," she said.
Ashwini said she stood by Jwala as she was her partner.
Jwala's coach S M Arif and father Kranti Gutta expressed happiness over the Delhi High Court permitting her to play and that her right to play was restored.