World Athletics: Justin Gatlin To Boycott British Media Over Negative Reporting

Updated: 25 August 2015 22:59 IST

US sprinter Justin Gatlin, who lost the 100 metre final to Usain Bolt, has vowed to boycott the British Media.

US sprinter Justin Gatlin has accused the British media of villifying him during the ongoing World Athletics Championships in Beijing and has vowed to boycott them in the future. (Bolt Trumps Gatlin to Retain 100 Metre Title)

Gatlin was suspended twice for taking banned substances and has been a controversial figure in the world of athletics since his return from a four-year doping ban in 2010. (Gatlin Seeks Road to Redemption)

The 33-year-old's clash with Jamaican superstar Usain Bolt in Sunday's men's 100 metre final was billed as a battle between good and evil - a battle for the soul of the sport - by a section of the media.

Gatlin - the pre-race favourite - was edged out by just one hundredth of a second by Bolt (9.79 seconds) in a closely contested final.

Footage posted on Twitter showed commentators from the British Broadcasting Corporation (BBC) celebrating as Bolt crossed the line and Gatlin is understood to have shunned three different interviewers from the BBC after the race.

The sprinter believes he has been unfairly vilified not only by the BBC, but the rest of the British media as well, who he feels have focused disproportionately on his dope-tainted past.

"Justin, as well as I, feel that the British media and journalists have been extremely unkind to him. There's been nothing positive said about him now for some time. Every characterisation is solely about doping and vilifying him," Gatlin's agent Renaldo Nehemiah was quoted as saying by The Guardian on Sunday.

"So, to maintain his own dignity and self respect, he feels it best not to speak to them. It's very unfortunate, but he's been hurt tremendously by these attacks. And as human beings, we should be better than that. The BBC in particular should report without lacing their comments and reporting with biased views," Nehemiah added.

The US sprinter was first banned in 2002 after amphetamines were found in his system related to medication he had been taking for attention deficit disorder for 10 years. A two-year ban was later reduced to one.

His second ban in 2006 was initially for eight years but was later cut down to four. It was blamed on testosterone he claimed was rubbed onto his buttocks by a masseur with a grudge.

Comments
Topics : Athletics
Related Articles
IPL 2019: Dwayne Bravo, MS Dhoni Star As Chennai Super Kings Defeat Delhi Capitals
IPL 2019: Dwayne Bravo, MS Dhoni Star As Chennai Super Kings Defeat Delhi Capitals
India Open 2019: Kartik Jindal, Pranaav Jerry Chopra Make It To Main Draw
India Open 2019: Kartik Jindal, Pranaav Jerry Chopra Make It To Main Draw
India Beat Hosts Malaysia 4-2 In Sultan Azlan Shah Cup
India Beat Hosts Malaysia 4-2 In Sultan Azlan Shah Cup
Ravichandran Ashwin
Ravichandran Ashwin 'Mankads' Jos Buttler: All You Need To Know About The Controversial Rule
BCCI Has No Intention To Lecture Ravichandran Ashwin After
BCCI Has No Intention To Lecture Ravichandran Ashwin After 'Mankading' Controversy, Says Official
Advertisement