Nadal advances in walkover against Del Potro

Updated: 06 May 2011 11:14 IST

Spain's Rafael Nadal was given a walkover into the quarter finals of the Madrid Masters on Thursday when opponent Juan Martin Del Potro withdrew before their third-round match with a hip injury.

Nadal advances in walkover against Del Potro

Madrid:

Spain's Rafael Nadal was given a walkover into the quarter finals of the Madrid Masters on Thursday when opponent Juan Martin Del Potro withdrew before their third-round match with a hip injury.

The unseeded Del Potro had been bothered by the problem since winning an Estoril semi final last weekend.

The 2009 US Open champion is making a recovery this season after missing more than eight months of play in 2010 after wrist surgery.

"I have experience with injuries, and I decided not to play," Del Potro said as he prepared to fly home to Buenos Aires for medical checks.

The Argentine will not play the Rome Masters starting on Sunday and could be in doubt for the French Open starting on May 22.

"The pain was very strong," said the Argentine.

Related Articles
Madrid Masters: Rafael Nadal wins title for fifth triumph of 2013
Madrid Masters: Rafael Nadal wins title for fifth triumph of 2013
Serena Williams beats Maria Sharapova to retain Madrid Open
Serena Williams beats Maria Sharapova to retain Madrid Open
Djokovic, Federer, Murray look for Rome boost before French Open
Djokovic, Federer, Murray look for Rome boost before French Open
Show Comments
Advertisement