City's appeal fails as ban on Kompany upheld

Updated: 10 January 2012 21:13 IST

Manchester City's bid to overturn Vincent Kompany's four-match ban following his sending off against Manchester United was dismissed on Tuesday, the Football Association (FA) confirmed.

City's appeal fails as ban on Kompany upheld
©

London:

Manchester City's bid to overturn Vincent Kompany's four-match ban following his sending off against Manchester United was dismissed on Tuesday, the Football Association (FA) confirmed.

City had been hopeful that Kompany's suspension would be scrapped, claiming the defender had not fouled Nani in the tackle that led to his dismissal.

However, the FA's Independent Regulatory Commission rejected City's claims, meaning Kompany will miss Wednesday's League Cup semi-final with Liverpool.

"An Independent Regulatory Commission has today dismissed a claim of wrongful dismissal from Manchester City's Vincent Kompany following his red card for Serious Foul Play in The FA Cup Third Round tie between Manchester City v Manchester United on 8 January 2012," said an FA statement.

"Kompany will serve a four-match suspension with immediate effect. The suspension consists of a statutory three-match suspension for Serious Foul Play plus one additional game given this is Kompany's second dismissal of the season."

Related Articles
Pressure on Claudio Ranieri Inevitable, Says Sevilla Manager Jorge Sampaoli
Pressure on Claudio Ranieri Inevitable, Says Sevilla Manager Jorge Sampaoli
Monchi's magic leads Sevilla into Europe's elite
Monchi's magic leads Sevilla into Europe's elite
Manchester United, Tottenham Hotspur Enter FA Cup Quarterfinals
Manchester United, Tottenham Hotspur Enter FA Cup Quarterfinals
Show Comments
Advertisement