Hatton, Mayweather agree to fight

Updated: 31 July 2007 09:31 IST

Ricky Hatton and Floyd Mayweather Jr look set to fight before the end of the year.

Hatton, Mayweather agree to fight
©

London:

Ricky Hatton and Floyd Mayweather Jr look set to fight before the end of the year.

Hatton's father said on Saturday that his son (43-0, 31 knockouts) has reportedly agreed in principle to fight the American, probably in Las Vegas in November or December.

"The date and venue is up in the air, but we agreed via our lawyers what the financial side of it is going to be," Ray Hatton said. "I can't honestly tell you a deal has been done until I see the signatures on all the documents.

"Both sides were happy with what we finalized verbally."

The BBC reported that an official announcement could be made as early as Monday.

Ray Hatton did not say what weight the pair would fight at, although Hatton will likely move up to meet Mayweather, who won the 154-pound WBC super welterweight title against Oscar De La Hoya in May.

Ricky Hatton said he wanted to take on five-weight champion Mayweather (38-0, 24 KOs) after winning the 140-pound IBO light welterweight title last month with a knockout victory over Jose Luis Castillo.

Mayweather responded by saying he wanted the bout. He had announced his retirement from the ring after beating De La Hoya, but backtracked from a definitive decision shortly after.

Topics : Boxing
Related Articles
Former CWG Silver-Medallist Som Bahadur Poon Turns Pro Boxer
Former CWG Silver-Medallist Som Bahadur Poon Turns Pro Boxer
Sarita Devi to Fight Maiden Pro Bout in Imphal on January 29
Sarita Devi to Fight Maiden Pro Bout in Imphal on January 29
Commonwealth Games Medallist Pinki Jangra Set to Switch to Pro Boxing
Commonwealth Games Medallist Pinki Jangra Set to Switch to Pro Boxing
Show Comments
Advertisement