Tokyo Olympics Highlights: Kamalpreet Kaur Finishes 6th In Discus Throw, Women's Hockey Team Shines
Tokyo Olympics: Kamalpreet Kaur finished 6th in the women's discus throw final with a best attempt of 63.70, while the women's hockey team stunned Australia to reach the semifinals.
Kamalpreet Kaur finished sixth in the women's discus throw final with a best attempt of 63.70. She had started well in the women's discus throw final as she threw 61.62 in her first attempt but had a foul in the second before rain halted play. She threw 63.70 in her third to avoid getting knocked out after the first three throws. She had another foul in her fourth throw and only managed 61.37 in her fifth. She threw another foul in her final attempt to finish sixth as USA's Valarie Allman won the gold medal. Germany's Kristin Pudenz won silver while Cuba's Yaime Perez claimed the bronze medal. In equestrian, India's Fouaad Mirza finished 23rd in the individual final in Eventing Jumping. Earlier today, the women's hockey team claiming a shock win against Australia to enter the semi-finals of the Olympics for the first time. India took the lead through Gurjit Kaur in the second quarter and showcased immense defensive might to keep the Australian women at bay. Indian shooters Aishwary Pratap Singh Tomar and Sanjeev Rajput failed to breach the top 8 ranks as they missed the cut for the for 50m Rifle 3 Positions men's finals. Tomar finished 21st while Rajput ended a disappointing 32nd. It brought an end to the Indian shooting contingent's campaign at the Games. Sprinter Dutee Chand ran her season's best but still failed to qualify for the semi-finals of women's 200m. She clocked a time of 23.85 seconds and finished 7th in Heat 4.
Here Are The Highlights From Tokyo Olympics 2020
- 18:36 (IST)Discus Throw - FinalWomen's Discus ThrowIndia's Kamalpreet Kaur has a foul throw in her sixth and last attempt - She finishes 6th and out of medal contentionValarie Allman of USA wins gold with the best throw of 68.98mGermany's Kristin Pudenz gets silver with the best throw of 66.86Cuba's Yaime Perez wins bronze with her best of 65.72
- 17:06 (IST)Discus Throw - FinalWomen's Discus ThrowUpdate: Due to bad weather, the competition seems to be delayed. Officials are trying to dry up the surface with a miniature version of the super sopperIndia's Kamalpreet Kaur is placed at the seventh spot currentlyValarie Allman of USA has the best throw so far - 68.98m
- 15:26 (IST)PV Sindhu Exclusive - India's Bronze Medalist At Tokyo 2020PV Sindhu NDTV ExclusiveShuttler PV Sindhu explained what it means to win her second Olympic medal and how it will motivate her to achieve more in the future
- 13:02 (IST)Equestrian - Eventing Jumping QualifiersEquestrianIndia's Fouaad Hyder Mirza and Seigneur Medicott ended yesterday's individual Equestrian Eventing Cross Country session at the 22nd rank with a total 39.20 penalty pointsThe Eventing Jumping qualifiers will take place in a short while where they will have to jump across 12 obstacles over a time limit of 158 seconds with the total length of the course being 490 metres
- 10:53 (IST)Shooting - 50m Rifle 3 Positions Men's QualificationMen's Shooting - Indian Shooters Fail To QualifyIndian shooters Aishwary Pratap Singh Tomar and Sanjeev Rajput fail to breach the top 8 ranks as they miss the cut for the finalsAishwary Pratap Singh Tomar : Rank 21Kneeling 99, 100, 98, 100 : 397Prone: 98, 99, 97, 97 : 391Standing: 95, 96, 93, 95 : 379Sanjeev Rajput : Rank 32Kneeling: 96, 99, 95, 97 : 387Prone: 97, 100, 98, 98 : 393Standing: 94, 93, 95, 95 : 377
- 10:02 (IST)Hockey - Australia vs India - Quarter-finalWomen's Hockey - End - India WinThe Indian women's hockey team have pulled off one of the greatest upsets as they have beaten Australia 1-0 to enter semi-finals in TokyoIndia have held onto their lead through Gurjit Kaur in the second quarter and have been able to maintain it till the very end