Daly regretful, but defends Aussie walkout

Updated: 14 November 2011 21:08 IST

John Daly says while he regrets walking off the course during the first round of the Australian Open last week, he had little choice after running out of balls.

Melbourne:

John Daly says while he regrets walking off the course during the first round of the Australian Open last week, he had little choice after running out of balls.

The two-time major winner hit seven balls into the water on the 11th hole Thursday before quitting at The Lakes in Sydney.

Speaking at a Pro-Am in Melbourne on Monday, Daly said: "Of course I regret it. But at the time there wasn't much I could do."

An Australasian tour panel is expected to hold a disciplinary hearing this week to consider the incident and decide on possible disciplinary action.

On Thursday, tournament director Trevor Herden described Daly's actions as "unprofessional," saying officials would have fetched more golf balls if asked.

Topics : Golf Tennis John Daly
Related Articles
Leading Golf Body Under Fire For Banning Short Skirts, "Plunging Necklines"
Leading Golf Body Under Fire For Banning Short Skirts, "Plunging Necklines"
Tiger Woods Outside Top 1,000 For The First Time In Official World Golf Rankings
Tiger Woods Outside Top 1,000 For The First Time In Official World Golf Rankings
Tiger Woods Appears Unsteady, Disoriented In Police Dash-Cam Video Of DUI Arrest
Tiger Woods Appears Unsteady, Disoriented In Police Dash-Cam Video Of DUI Arrest
Show Comments
Advertisement