Demirel banned, to miss quarterfinals

Updated: 19 June 2008 07:53 IST

Turkey goalkeeper Volkan Demirel was banned for two matches on Wednesday after being sent off against the Czech Republic last week at the Euro 2008.

VIENNA, Austria:

Turkey goalkeeper Volkan Demirel was banned for two matches on Wednesday after being sent off against the Czech Republic last week at the European Championship.

Demirel will miss the quarterfinal game against Croatia on Friday at Ernst Happel Stadium in Vienna. The goalkeeper was sent off in the final minute of Turkey's 3-2 win in Group A on Sunday in Geneva for knocking down striker Jan Koller. He then sat on the team's bench in breach of FIFA rules.

The Turkish football federation was also fined 44,000 Swiss francs (euro27,000; US$42,000) for improper conduct of its fans, players and officials.

"The sanction of the 44,000 (fine) and the two-match suspension for the Turkey goalkeeper was linked to the fact that after getting a red card, he sat on the bench when he was supposed to be out of the technical area," UEFA spokesman William Gaillard said. "And we had some problems with some Turkish fans trying to enter the pitch, and also the presence of about 25 unaccredited people after the game in the Turkish dressing room."

The Turkish federation lodged an appeal against the ban and fine, but no date has yet been set yet to hear it.

Despite Turkey coach Fatih Terim appearing to come into contact with the fourth official when angrily arguing after the Czechs had taken a 2-0 lead at Stade de Geneve on Sunday, Gaillard said no action will be taken.

"You would need to have something in the referee's report to note that something has occurred," he said. "There's nothing about the coaches."

Topics : Football Volkan Demirel Croatia Greece Germany Russia
Related Articles
Real Madrid Clinch World Record Deal For Kylian Mbappe: Report
Real Madrid Clinch World Record Deal For Kylian Mbappe: Report
I'm Staying at Real Madrid, Says Cristiano Ronaldo
I'm Staying at Real Madrid, Says Cristiano Ronaldo
Cristiano Ronaldo Will Remain Real Madrid Player For '2-3 More Years', Says Zinedine Zidane
Cristiano Ronaldo Will Remain Real Madrid Player For '2-3 More Years', Says Zinedine Zidane
Show Comments
Advertisement