Australia rules out CWG pull outpull

Updated: 30 December 2009 11:32 IST

Australia gave a thumbs up to security arrangements for the 2010 Games in New Delhi and said their athletes will travel to India to participate in the October 3

Australia rules out CWG pull outpull

Melbourne:

Australia on Wednesday gave a thumbs up to security arrangements for the 2010 Games in New Delhi and said their athletes will travel to India to participate in the October 3-14 mega event.

Reacting to British media reports, claiming England are pulling out of the event fearing terror strikes, Australian Commonwealth Games Association CEO Perry Crosswhite said their security advisers have not issued any such warning.

"I was in Delhi two weeks ago and the security arrangements were well-organised and also had improved since we had seen them previously," said Crosswhite.

"Also Australian government and our security advisers are certainly not recommending similar action for ourselves. In the past I've seen similar stories which have proved to be groundless and I would be looking to speak to the English Commonwealth Games Association before I would really want to say anything more," he was quoted as saying by 'Sydney Morning Herald'.

On being asked about the security arrangements in Delhi, Crosswhite said that during his recent trip as a member of the CGF Coordination Commission, he was pleased with the progress on security arrangements.

"We had a full presentation from the Delhi security officials and authorities and all of us were pleased with the progress and we certainly had no other information that suggested there was any security threats," he said.

Crosswhite said Australian players need not worry about the British report at this stage.

"Settle back, we'll get you some more information as we don't know any basis of this and we will be seeking some more information," he advised the athletes.

Meanwhile, Neil Fergus, a leading intelligence chief at past Commonwealth and Olympic games, termed the British report as false.

"It's not true," Fergus said.

Fergus said he had been in constant contact with his British counterparts, who were "planning full steam ahead".

He also said that security issues always surface in the run-up to the Games and expressed satisfaction at India's preparation.

"There are always issues 10 months out. There are always issues to be managed, but the Indians have made tremendous progress in security planning. I have always got [security] concerns, that's my job. More concern than Athens or Beijing? No.," he said. 

Topics : Athletics
Related Articles
More Than 1,000 Russian Athletes in 'Institutionalised' Doping - McLaren Report
More Than 1,000 Russian Athletes in 'Institutionalised' Doping - McLaren Report
Russia to Feel New Heat From McLaren Doping Inquiry
Russia to Feel New Heat From McLaren Doping Inquiry
Usain Bolt Says 200-Meter World Record Now Likely Beyond Him
Usain Bolt Says 200-Meter World Record Now Likely Beyond Him
Show Comments
Advertisement