Wigan chairman Dave Whelan believes Liverpool are close to making an offer to take manager Roberto Martinez to Anfield.
Last week Whelan confirmed he had given Liverpool, who sacked Anfield great Kenny Dalglish, permission to speak to Martinez and on Thursday he told the BBC he believed his manager was meeting with the Anfield club's American owners.
"Roberto is in Miami today (Thursday) and you can only assume what he's gone there for (to talk to the Liverpool owners)," Whelan told the BBC.
"I'd expect to hear back from him in the next 48 hours or so."
The 38-year-old Martinez left Swansea City to take over at Wigan in 2009 and has been widely praised for keeping the modest Lancashire club in the Premier League.
Wigan stayed in the top flight this season after wins over Liverpool, Arsenal, Manchester United and Newcastle United in their final eight games helped them to a respectable 15th in the league - seven points clear of relegation.
However, Whelan has repeatedly insisted he would allow Martinez to leave for a "big club" and last week said "they don't come any bigger than Liverpool".