The postponement of the boxing trials for the Asian Games has left Olympic bronze medallist MC Mary Kom fuming as she termed this last-minute schedule change as highly "unprofessional" on the part of the organisers.
The Indian Olympic Association Ad-hoc Committee, which is managing the boxing affairs, decided to postpone Saturday's trials on the request of the Commonwealth Games medal winners but failed to communicate the change to all the boxers in time.
"I was in the training camp for months, leaving my little children in Manipur. I was raring to have a go but now this has left me demoralised and confused. I don't understand why the Ad-hoc Committee did not inform us earlier," Mary, the five-time World champion said.
The most decorated woman pugilist of India, Mary made no bones about the fact that postponement had demoralising effect on her as she had reached Patiala couple of days before the trials in order to give her best shot.
While Mary was in Patiala, the core group of women boxers from Delhi were already on the Patiala-bound bus in the morning but decided to return mid-way after learning about the schedule change.
"I have a lot of respect for (CWG) medal winners but we should have been informed in time. It's not good and highly unprofessional. When one is mentally prepared for the trials and if it does not take place, it's not an ideal situation for a boxer," said Mary with the anger in her voice palpable.
"My husband (K Onler Kom) has also joined me today (Friday) and now we are sitting here in Patiala without knowing when the trials would happen. I don't know if I should go back to Delhi or stay here. There is no communication on the next date," she said.
One of the boxers, who was in the bus, explained how they all had to return to their rooms at the IG Stadium.
"We had already travelled for about half an hour when Mahaveer sir (coach) got a call that some function is going on in Patiala, so our journey will be delayed by at least two hours. Then after some time, we were told that trials have been postponed and we won't go today (Friday)," said the boxer, who did not wish to be named.
"It spoilt our mood. We were ready to compete and were mentally prepared. They should have informed us earlier," she said.