Madrid: Real Madrid striker Cristiano Ronaldo is confident of signing a new deal with the Spanish football club.
Speaking while on duty with the Portuguese national team, Ronaldo, who joined Real Madrid in 2009 from Manchester United commented: "I am calm and not worried about it, I know we will reach a deal."
Ronaldo's current contract expires in June 2015 and the fact there are only two seasons left to run has caused speculation that Manchester United could be preparing a bid to take him back to play in England, Xinhua reports.
If Ronaldo fails to agree to a deal in the coming months, Real Madrid would be placed in an awkward situation where they would have to consider selling him at a cut price or seeing him leave for free when his deal expires.
Real Madrid president Florentino Perez also spoke about Ronaldo as he continues his current round of interviews and appearances in the press.
Perez was installed as club president for a fourth term last week after the new rules that he put in place with the support of senior club members. He made it virtually impossible for anyone else to meet the conditions, especially a 75-million-euro bank guarantee, needed to stand as a presidential candidate against him.
Speaking in pro-Real Madrid sports daily, Diario Marca, Perez said Real Madrid would win their tenth Champions League title with Ronaldo as part of the club. He said he was confident Real Madrid and Ronaldo would reach agreement on his new contract, saying the striker would become a symbol for the club in the same way the legendary Alfredo Di Stefano was.
Elsewhere Celta Vigo have produced a surprise by announcing former FC Barcelona player, Luis Enrique as their first team coach for the next two seasons. Luis Enrique, who has previously coached Barcelona's B-team and Italian Serie-A side, AS Roma, was named after Abel Resino rejected the chance to continue at the club.
Resino had led Celta to dramatic Primera Liga survival on the last day of the season, but rejected the offer to continue over disagreements with the club's transfer policy for the coming campaign.
There are still four sides without a coach in the Primera Liga with Real Madrid, Athletic Club Bilbao, who announced Marcelo Bielsa would not continue last Friday, Levante and Valladolid still waiting to name who will lead them next season.
Three of the four are expected to name their coaches in the coming week, although Real Madrid may have to wait until Carlo Ancelotti is able to negotiate a way out of the one year he has left on his current contract with Paris Saint Germain, who are reluctant to let him leave.