Two more 2nd-round retirements at Wimbledon

Updated: 28 June 2013 10:00 IST

Frenchmen Michael Llodra and Paul-Henri Mathieu have joined seven players who pulled out on Wednesday.

London:

A pair of Frenchmen retired on Thursday from Wimbledon singles matches, raising the total of players pulling out of the second round to nine, which equals the Open era Grand Slam record for one round.

Michael Llodra cited hamstring problems for forcing him to stop after dropping the first set of his match against 23rd-seeded Andreas Seppi of Italy. Llodra then played and won a doubles match with partner Nicolas Mahut.

Paul-Henri Mathieu quit while trailing 6-3, 5-1 against Feliciano Lopez of Spain.

Llodra and Mathieu joined seven players who pulled out on Wednesday.

Nine men and women withdrew or stopped mid-match during the first round of the 2011 U.S. Open.

All told, 12 players have pulled out of Wimbledon so far, one short of the full tournament record, set in 2008.

Related Articles
ISL: ATK Go Top Of The Table With Last-Gasp Winner Against NorthEast United
ISL: ATK Go Top Of The Table With Last-Gasp Winner Against NorthEast United
South Africa vs England: Mark Wood Stars As England Beat South Africa To Win Series 3-1
South Africa vs England: Mark Wood Stars As England Beat South Africa To Win Series 3-1
Ricky Ponting Reveals How He Got His Nickname "Punter"
Ricky Ponting Reveals How He Got His Nickname "Punter"
"We Had Our 20-Year Run Together": Tiger Woods Mourns Kobe Bryant
"We Had Our 20-Year Run Together": Tiger Woods Mourns Kobe Bryant
Sourav Ganguly Says New Selection Panel Will Pick Indian Squad For South Africa ODIs
Sourav Ganguly Says New Selection Panel Will Pick Indian Squad For South Africa ODIs
Advertisement