Blackburn Rovers held by Charlton after Steve Kean quits

Blackburn were held to a 1-1 draw at Charlton in the Championship club's first game since the resignation of manager Steve Kean.

Updated: September 30, 2012 09:11 IST
  • Total Shares

London: Blackburn were held to a 1-1 draw at Charlton in the Championship club's first game since the resignation of manager Steve Kean.

Rovers were en route to south London on Friday evening ahead of the following day's match at the Valley when Kean's lawyer announced that his client had quit.

Reports on Saturday claimed that Kean, who had endured a hate campaign from Rovers fans before and after his side's relegation from the Premier League last season, felt his position was untenable because Blackburn's Indian owners were attempting to influence his team selection.

With Kean gone, it was left to his assistant Eric Black to take charge against Charlton and he saw Dickson Etuhu give the visitors the lead in the 16th minute.

But Charlton captain Johnnie Jackson got his team back on level terms in the 27th minute with a cool finish just moments after his penalty was saved by former England goalkeeper Paul Robinson.

Huddersfield wasted a chance to boost their promotion bid as Watford snatched a dramatic 3-2 victory.

Oliver Norwood's free-kick handed the hosts the advantage, but Simon Grayson's men were stunned by a second-half Watford fightback.

Fernando Forestieri netted his first goal for the club, Fitz Hall put the Hornets ahead and although substitute Alan Lee levelled, Troy Deeney, making only his second appearance since being released from prison, kept his cool to win it from the spot.

Matthew Connolly scored twice to help Cardiff maintain their 100 percent home record in the league with a 3-0 victory over Blackpool.

Connolly opened the scoring from close range in the 17th minute and sealed matters by heading home a Craig Bellamy corner after Peter Whittingham's free-kick.

Emile Sinclair scored a hat-trick as Peterborough beat Hull 3-1 at the KC Stadium to claim their first win of the season after seven straight defeats.

El-Hadji Diouf's second-half double helped Neil Warnock's side win 3-2 at Bristol City.

Lloyd Dyer's last-gasp goal gave Leicester a 2-1 win at Middlesbrough, while struggling Ipswich drew 1-1 at Barnsley.

Elsewhere, Crystal Palace stretched their unbeaten run to five games as Glenn Murray's strike secured a 1-0 win at Bolton.

Millwall ended their run of three straight defeats as Darius Henderson's stoppage-time goal rescued a 2-2 draw at Burnley and Wolves beat Sheffield Wednesday 1-0 at Molineux.

For the latest Sports news , like us on Facebook or follow us on Twitter and get the NDTV Cricket app for Android or iOS

  • Football
  • Charlton Athletic
  • Blackburn Rovers

Leave a comment