There is bad news for Formula 1 fans in India. According to a Reuters report, F1 boss Bernie Ecclestone has ruled out Indian Grand Prix's return in 2015.
Speaking to the news agency, Ecclestone reportedly said that there was never a plan to have the Indian GP return in F1's 2015 schedule. "At the moment, India won't be on for next year for sure. Probably 2016," he was quoted as saying. "They're gradually getting over all the bureaucracy with the tax position inside the country and the general finance."
The Indian GP made its debut in 2011 and was part of the F1 calendar for three years before being taken off for 2014 season. Issues with taxation were seen as the major reason for taking F1 away from the Buddh International Circuit in Greater Noida with the event being categorized as entertainment rather than as a sport.
Jaypee, organisers of the Indian Grand Prix, had told NDTV last year that every effort was being made to ensure that F1's return to Indian shores. Ecclestone's latest revelation though points in the opposite direction as India's wait looks all set to extend by a year.
Story first published on: Wednesday, 05 March 2014 23:28 IST