Wesley Sneijder contract talks break down as exit looms

Coach Andrea Stramaccioni left Wesley Sneijder out of his squad for the 1-0 win over Palermo having indicated on Saturday, three days after the Italian club were accused of blackmailing the player, Sneijder would be available for selection only to leave the Dutchman out of his matchday squad.

Last updated on Tuesday, 04 December, 2012 12:21 IST
  • Total Shares

Rome: Dutch international Wesley Sneijder moved closer to a winter departure from Serie A giants Inter Milan after his ongoing contract negotiations broke down on Monday.

"In these conditions, I have absolutely no reason to sign," the 2010 Champions League winner said in a statement reported by la Gazzetta dello sport.

Coach Andrea Stramaccioni left him out of his squad for the 1-0 win over Palermo having indicated on Saturday, three days after the Italian club were accused of blackmailing the player, Sneijder would be available for selection only to leave the Dutchman out of his matchday squad.

"I don't want to talk. How can I extend my contract when I'm not even playing," he added after leaving the ground after negotiations provided fruitless.

Stramaccioni defended his decision and said he had not been influenced by club president Massimo Moratti.

"It was nothing to do with the president. It was my choice," said Stramaccioni. "There are players in better form than him (Sneijder) and it's my job to put the best team together."

Last week Inter announced that 28-year-old Sneijder would not play for the club again until he agreed to new terms.

"As long as there is uncertitude about the future of Wesley at Inter, we have no reasons to think about a new contract," explained his agent Soren Lerby.

Moratti also waded into the dispute and put the pressure firmly on the 2010 World Cup finalist to make up his mind.

"As long as he can, he will play. I heard what happened at the meeting and the two parties showed the right attitude to progress. Now it is up to Sneijder to answer," Moratti said in a club statement.

Inter are reportedly asking the player to accept a reduction in salary which is estimated at 6 million euros a year and extend his contract by one year to 2016 without a change in total salary for the deal.

That announcement angered the professional footballers' trade union, FIFPro, which said it would be appealing to UEFA and FIFA.

In an article headlined 'FIFPro wants to end blackmail behaviour of clubs', FIFPro claimed: "Inter has demanded that the Dutch international extend his contract until 2016, but then for exactly the same total salary.

"In other words, to work a year longer without receiving any salary for it."

Sneijder was a key figure in the treble winning season under Jose Mourinho in 2010 when they won the Italian title, the Italian Cup as well as their first Champions League trophy since 1965.

Story first published on: Tuesday, 04 December 2012 11:42 IST

For the latest Sports news, like us on Facebook or follow us on Twitter and get the NDTV Cricket app for Android or iOS

  • Football
  • Sparta Prague
  • Napoli
  • Galatasaray
  • Manchester United
  • Inter Milan
  • Ajax

Leave a comment