Marrakech, Morocco: Michael Schumacher is still "fighting" for his life but his future remains uncertain, International Automobile Federation president Jean Todt said on Sunday.
Doctors put Formula One legend Schumacher into a medically induced coma after he slammed his head on a rock while skiing at the French resort of Meribel on December 29. Little news has filtered out since on his condition. (Schumacher has moments of consciousness: manager)
"I see him very often and he's still fighting. He's fighting and we can only hope and pray that it will improve over the future," Todt told journalists on the sidelines of World Touring Car Championship race in Marrakech.
"It has been a tragedy this accident. A tragedy for Michael, a tragedy for his family. (Schumi's wife building 10 million pound medical suite)
"Michael is in very good hands with fantastic dedicated doctors in the hospital in Grenoble. Obviously, I'm very close to him, to the family," Todt added.
But the FIA president refused to answer when asked if he was optimistic about the 45-year-old Schumacher's prospects. (Fans must be ready for the worst: doctor)
Schumacher's spokeswoman said earlier this month that the driver has "moments of consciousness and awakening" and is "making progress".
Doctors at the hospital in Grenoble, France, where he is being treated have said nothing in recent months however.
The spokeswoman, Sabine Kehm, was to appear on German television on Sunday night.
Story first published on: Sunday, 13 April 2014 21:48 IST