Kolkata: India's tour of South Africa has been put on hold, sources have told NDTV. India were slated to tour the Rainbow Nation for two Twenty20s, seven ODIs and three Tests starting November 21, 2013.
Earlier on Sunday, the decision to invite West Indies for two Tests and five one-dayers was taken at the working committee meeting here on Sunday. (Will Sachin play his 200th Test at home?)
President-in-exile N Srinivasan however said that although no discussion on itinerary of the upcoming tour of South Africa were held during the Board's Working Committee meeting, decision to scrap the tour was not taken either. "I've not said that the South Africa series will be scrapped. It's definitely on. We have just proposed a West Indies series in November. Neither there was any discussions on the South Africa series nor any members raised any questions on the series," he said.
Apart from the fact that a home series generates more revenue than a foreign tour, what might have prompted the BCCI to take this decision is their ongoing cold war vs Cricket South Africa. (Cricket South Africa addresses issues regarding Haroon Lorgat vs BCCI)
After all it's no secret that the new CEO of Cricket South Africa Haroon Lorgat is not in the BCCI's good books. No wonder then that the former ICC CEO on being asked about this when he was appointed South African cricket chief had said that everyone knows that the BCCI is very powerful and that he would be very disappointed if the tour was affected because of what the BCCI thinks of him. (Related read: Haroon Lorgat's presence may affect India-South Africa ties)
The BCCI also approved India's tour of New Zealand in January-February next year and the summer's tour of England.