Sampras withdraws from ATP tournaments

Updated: 25 February 2007 08:28 IST

US Open champion Pete Sampras has withdrawn from all remaining ATP tournaments this season, organizers of this month's Swiss Indoors event said on Wednesday.

Sampras withdraws from ATP tournaments

Basel:

US Open champion Pete Sampras has withdrawn from all remaining ATP tournaments this season, organizers of this month's Swiss Indoors event said on Wednesday.The news added to speculation that the 31-year-old Sampras is planning to retire. He has not played since winning the US Open, his 14th Grand Slam singles title, last month in New York.Sampras' withdrawal means he will not star in the Basel event, which opens on October 19, and will miss Masters Series events in Madrid, Spain and Paris. The move also means Sampras will have no chance of qualifying for the eight-player Tennis Masters Cup in Shanghai -- the final event of the season in mid-November.Sampras had moved from 32nd to 12th place in the ATP Champions race after winning the US Open.Sampras and his wife, actress Bridgette Wilson, are expecting their first child. Swiss Indoors organizers said the event would feature five of the world's top ten players, including World No. 2 Tommy Haas of Germany and defending champion Tim Henman of Britain. (AP)



Topics : Tennis
Related Articles
Boris Becker Criticises Novak Djokovic Following Split
Boris Becker Criticises Novak Djokovic Following Split
Somdev Devvarman Backs Indian Davis Cup Captain Anand Amritraj
Somdev Devvarman Backs Indian Davis Cup Captain Anand Amritraj
Novak Djokovic Confirms Split With Coach Boris Becker
Novak Djokovic Confirms Split With Coach Boris Becker
Show Comments
Advertisement