IPL teams allowed to spend money on replacements

Updated: 02 February 2009 16:17 IST

With the Pakistani players ruled out of the IPL second edition, affected franchisees are now allowed to use the money for inducting substitute players.

IPL teams allowed to spend money on replacements

New Delhi:

With the Pakistani cricketers ruled out of the second edition of the Indian Premier League, affected franchisees would be allowed to use the money for inducting substitute players, IPL Chairman Lalit Modi said on Monday.

Modi said once the auction on Friday gets over, franchisees which had Pakistani players in their ranks, would be allowed to use the same amount to engage replacement players.

"The Pakistani players have a three-year contract with the franchises and the only reason of their unavailability could be injuries. But since that is not the case here, we will have to look at the legal aspect of the issue," Modi said.

"Those spots for Pakistani players will be freed up and the money they (franchisees) invested on these players last year would be made automatically available to post-auction so that the teams can buy new replacement players," Modi explained.

Pakistan government earlier denied permission to its IPL-contracted cricketers citing security reasons. Modi also said that all the franchisees would have a minimum purse of USD two millions to select cricketers and buy them according to their necessity.

The BCCI Vice-President also announced the final list of 43 players, nominated by the eight franchisees, who would go under the hammer in Goa on Friday.

"We had a list of 114 players. We circulated the list to the club owners and franchisees and asked them to indicate which players they would like to see in the auction.

Among these players, England's Kevin Pietersen will have the highest reserve price at USD 1,350,000, followed by Australia's Michael Clark (1,000,000) and Andrew Flintoff (950,000).

"All these players will go under the hammer and will be divided into different groups like last year. The grouping will be done in the next two-three days and the first group is likely to have the top three players - Pietersen, Clarke and Flintoff," Modi said.

He also confirmed that the IPL governing body has been approached by a party interested in buying a stake in the Rajasthan Royal but said there was no such news as far as the Deccan Chargers are concerned.

"I can confirm that as the IPL governing body, we have been approached for buying a stake in the Rajasthan Royals. I don't know about the percentage but I have been told that there will be an announcement regarding these tomorrow.

"There are rumours about Deccan Chargers but I can confirm that there is no such news as far as Deccan Chargers are concerned," he said.

"However people can buy or sell stakes from their company as and when they want," he added.

With the Lok Sabha elections to be held in April-May, Modi said there is some confusion as when and where the matches would be played but confirmed that the date of the second-edition of the IPL remain April 10 to May 24.

Modi further said this year's IPL will see three more stadiums hosting the matches.

"The number of venues hosting the matches will go up from eight stadiums to 11. The IPL governing body has already approved Cuttack and Ahmedabad as likely venues. We have to take care of the logistics. The idea is to hold matches in the catchment areas across the country," he said.



Topics : Cricket
Related Articles
David Warner Surpasses Ricky Ponting in Most Tons in Calendar Year List For Australia
David Warner Surpasses Ricky Ponting in Most Tons in Calendar Year List For Australia
India vs England: Anil Kumble Bats for Murali Vijay, Bowling Attack
India vs England: Anil Kumble Bats for Murali Vijay, Bowling Attack
India vs England: BCCI Adopts 'Wait And Watch' Policy For Chennai Test
India vs England: BCCI Adopts 'Wait And Watch' Policy For Chennai Test
Show Comments
Advertisement